1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to the derivative of this?

1. Nov 5, 2011 #1
    1. How to take the derivative of this? i know how to derive this but i don't get what it means by when x=3
    d/dx=((x-4)^3)) when x = 3

can you please work out a similar problem for me so i can follow the steps?

Thank you for your help, kind regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

The derivative of a function f(x) is the "slope" function. You plug in a value, call it a, into the derivative and this will tell you the slope of f(x). For instance:

f(x) = x2
    f'(x) = 2x

Let's say I want to find the slope of f(x) at x = 2, so we look at f'(2), so f'(2) = 2*2 = 4.

4. Nov 5, 2011 #3
    thank you very much. i can do it now.

5. Nov 5, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your notation needs some work as well.
    d/dx is the derivative operator. It's not a number. It makes about as much sense to write d/dx = (x - 4)3 as it does to write √ = 7. In this nonsense equation, a natural question would be, the square root of what equals 7.

In what you wrote, the question would be, the derivative of what equals (x - 4)3?

Also, in English we don't "derive" something when we take the derivative - we say that we "differentiate" a function to get its derivative. Must seem weird, but that's the common usage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook