How to understand diffusive and ballistic transport?

In summary: But I think the diffusive transport and the ballistic transport are related. What I don't understand is how the diffusive transport affects the ballistic transport.In summary, the diffusive transport affects the ballistic transport by allowing the particles to travel in a straight line.
KFC
Hi there,
I am always confusing in the difference between diffusive and ballistic transport. My understanding on the diffusive transport is from it's name, particles diffuse from the high density region into the low density region. I think the diffusion happens towards all direction, is it why usually it is formulated as ##\langle x^2(t) \rangle = Dt## ? For the ballistic transport, it is very confusing where is the term ballistic from. But my understanding is the transport is linear, is that correct?

I saw that in some article, there mentions transport in momentum. It looks like that the ballistic transport corresponding to quadratic growth of kinetic energy. I don't understand why but if that's the case, how does it look like for energy for diffusive transport in momentum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to put your question into some sort of context. Are you talking about transport in gases? Or say electrons in a 2DEG?

Regardless, "ballistic" usually means that the scattering length (the mean length a particle travels before being scattered) is of the same order of magnitude or larger than the device size (i.e. the space/surface it travels in/on). Diffuse transport means that the particle is being repeatedly scattered (see the "drunk student in a forest" problem in statistical physics).

f95toli said:
(see the "drunk student in a forest" problem in statistical physics).
Why not give a link instead of search terms that lead nowhere (into a dark forest :smile: )

BvU said:
Why not give a link instead of search terms that lead nowhere (into a dark forest :smile: )

I don't have a link. However, it is a problem I've seen in several books. It is just "fun" version of the normal derivation of the random walk derivation of a diffusion equation, instead of a particle bouncing around in a graphyou imagine a very drunk student trying to find his/her way out of a circular forest. The "rules" are that the student will walk in a straight line until he/she walks into a tree and falls over, he/she will then get up and walk in a new random direction.
The goal of the exercise is to figure how far the student will have traveled after some time t (and when he/she will emerge from the forest).

Edit: A Google search for "random walk diffusion drunk" gives e.g. the following hit
http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~tas110/Teaching/Lectures/L13/Lecture13.pdf

Thanks for reference. It looks like a very good article to read.

When I first think of the problem, I am thinking of the transport in gas.

1. What is the difference between diffusive and ballistic transport?

Diffusive transport involves the random movement of particles due to collisions, while ballistic transport involves the directed movement of particles without collisions.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of diffusive and ballistic transport?

The efficiency of diffusive transport is affected by the concentration gradient, diffusion coefficient, and distance traveled. Ballistic transport is affected by the speed of the particles and the distance traveled.

3. How is diffusive and ballistic transport measured?

Diffusive transport is typically measured by the diffusion coefficient, which is determined by tracking the movement of particles over time. Ballistic transport is often measured by the velocity of the particles and the distance traveled.

4. What are some real-life examples of diffusive and ballistic transport?

Diffusive transport can be observed in processes such as gas diffusion in the atmosphere or the movement of molecules in a liquid. Ballistic transport can be seen in the movement of electrons in a conductor or the trajectory of molecules in a vacuum.

5. How does temperature affect diffusive and ballistic transport?

Increasing temperature can increase the speed of particles in both diffusive and ballistic transport. However, in diffusive transport, higher temperatures can also lead to increased collisions, which can decrease efficiency. Ballistic transport is not affected by collisions, so higher temperatures typically result in faster transport.