How to understand light and mass interaction

In summary, the conversation discussed the phenomenon of Raman scattering and its role in absorbing and re-emitting photons. The conversation also mentioned the possibility of a two-photon effect and the varying energy levels of scattered light. The topic of evanescent waves and the Lorenz classical model were also briefly mentioned. The participants expressed interest in learning more about these topics and suggested further reading materials.
zhanghe
hi ,everyone

from the microscopic view, we can simply regard the atom in the mass as a spring, which will be vibrated by the light wave (collided by the photon, could i say that?)and in this way emit some "new" light waves, but whose wavelength is shorter than the incident wave. And it is the reason for the refrective phenomenon. is this true?

if i am right, why does this "new" light have shorter wavelength ?
and what has happened to those incident photon that don't collide with the mass atomic since there is large room among the atomics? or there is no photon survie?

which kind of physical textbook should i read further ,about this area?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No. https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=899393&postcount=4 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you very much ! genneth. i learn a lot of interesting things from the post you gave
and could you introduce some deeper textbooks? should i look for a book in quantum, photon area or sth. like that?

but in effect, i think, that post was NOT able to answer all my questions.
and it is not complete itself, the "spring" which absorb and re-emit photons
should be corelated to not only atomic vibration, but also bipolar vibration in atom itself,
which is not talked about in the post, disppointly
i continue to think about it ,waiting for everyone 's help, :-)

Raman scattering

zhange,
The phenomena you are referring to is Raman scattering (discovered it 1928 by C.V. Raman). When light interacts with a molecule an instantaneous (near-instantaneous) effect occurs where the light is absorbed generally to a virtual state (exciting the molecule) then it relaxes and re-emits a photon. The scattering phenomena is still debated as to whether or not it is a 2 photon effect (absorption then re-emission or not). Most of the time the photon is at the same energy (same wavelength) as the incident light this is known as Rayleigh scattering. However, some of the light is scattered at either a higher energy (shorter wavelength known as anti-Stokes Raman or at a lower energy higher wavelength known as Stokes Raman. As you asked what happens to the photons that don't collide, nothing happens, they continue on their original trajectory. Remember this is a scattering effect in many bulk materials an absorption effect will also be seen.
There are many texts on Raman scattering and scattering in general. I would start with your basic on line resources (wikipedia, hyper-physics) and google search Raman scattering.

yes,Raman is one of the many interactions, but it is not what i wanted to talk about,
first, Raman and Rayleigh occurs mainly at the IR region, not the UV-Visible
second, there is a wave frequency (photon energy) shift in Raman effect, which is not the subject I am interested

Raman occurs in uv, visible and IR, just depends on your source laser.

I am not sure what effect you are referring to then.

zhanghe said:
yes,Raman is one of the many interactions, but it is not what i wanted to talk about,
first, Raman and Rayleigh occurs mainly at the IR region, not the UV-Visible
second, there is a wave frequency (photon energy) shift in Raman effect, which is not the subject I am interested

Are you referring to evanescent waves?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanescent_wave

these days i have read some further textbooks and now i know, what i talked about before was the Lorenz classical model-----"spring" and something like that. and then i didn't understand how to explain all the light phenomena using this model. in the future i will continue to read some materials, thanks for every reply. thank you

What is the relationship between light and mass?

The relationship between light and mass is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation states that energy and mass are interchangeable, and the speed of light is a fundamental constant that relates the two. In simpler terms, this means that mass can be converted into energy, and vice versa, through the interaction of light.

How does light interact with matter?

Light interacts with matter through a process called absorption. When light waves come into contact with atoms or molecules, the energy from the light is absorbed, causing the electrons in the atoms to become excited and jump to a higher energy level. This absorption of light is what allows us to see objects, as the reflected light enters our eyes and is processed by our brains.

What is the difference between transparent, translucent, and opaque materials in terms of light interaction?

Transparent materials allow light to pass through them with minimal absorption or scattering. Translucent materials allow some light to pass through, but also scatter and absorb some of the light. Opaque materials do not allow any light to pass through, as it is either reflected or absorbed by the material.

How does the color of an object relate to light and mass interaction?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that are reflected or transmitted by the object. Objects appear a certain color because they absorb all other colors of light and reflect or transmit only the color that we see. For example, a red object appears red because it reflects red light and absorbs all other colors.

What is the significance of light and mass interaction in the study of the universe?

The study of light and mass interaction is crucial in understanding the universe and its origins. The interaction of light and matter allows us to observe and study distant objects in space, as well as to make predictions about the behavior and structure of the universe. Additionally, the study of light and mass interaction has led to groundbreaking discoveries and theories in physics, such as relativity and quantum mechanics.