How to Use Duality Property for Finding Fourier Transform of sin x / x?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 13K views
eckiller
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Hi, how do I find the Fourier transform of this function sin x / x, i.e.,

f* = Integral( sin x / x * exp( i*w*x) dx from -infinity to +infinity ).

I've been using Jordan's Lemma up to this point, but it doesn't seem to
apply here as a way to evaluate the integral.

Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use the duality property of Fourier transforms. Remember that d*sinc(w) = d*sin(pi*w*d) / (n*pi*w*d) is the Fourier transform of a square wave in the time domain with duty cycle d.

Edit: Fixed some things. If the time domain part confuses you, ignore it; I learned this stuff primarily from a signals & systems perspective.
 
Last edited by a moderator: