How to use my physics knowledge to help this world?

In summary, the author is 26 years old and has a degree in chemical engineering. He is currently a senior and wants to be a philosopher of physics, but is frustrated because he does not know what he can do to help people. He thinks about being an engineer, but is doubtful that technology can really make the world a better place. He has a question for the reader: what kind of technology do we "really" need? He also has a question for the reader: what can he do to help people with his physics knowledge? He ends his summary by saying that the technology to eradicate the tsetse fly already exists, but there is little incentive to tackle the problem.
Philethan
Hello, every one! I'm 26 now. I majored in Chemical Engineering and graduated from National Taiwan University. Then I applied college again (major in physics now) to fulfill my dream ---- be a philosopher of physics. Now, I'm senior. I've studied the quantum Physics, thermal physics, classical mechanics, applied math and etc.

However, the more knowledge I have, the more frustrated I am. I got A+ in every required undergraduate class. But when I realized the difficulties of being a philosopher of physicist or even theoretical physicist, I started to think about changing my career plan.

In addition to being a physicist, I also want to be a philosopher of ethics because I want to know if there is absolute moral maxim in this world. If I find it, then maybe I can do something good and make this world a better place. (I know it is very ridiculous, but that is what I really want.. ) Or, I want to be a novelist like Ayn Rand, and Albert Camus. I'd like to write books to improve this world.

Here is the thing. What kind of things I can do to help people with my physics knowledge?

I do think about being an engineer. But, I always doubt that if technology really makes this world a better place. My current answer is "no".

I always ask myself: What kind of technology do we "really" need?

I don't know.

Maybe I can help poor people with my physics knowledge? But how? Is it possible?
Join Bill Gate's foundation?

Sorry for my poor english. I just need someone to give me some advice.

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Eradicate the tsetse fly from Africa without using chemicals harmful to humans. In doing so, you will allow hundreds of millions of people to take care of themselves. The fly prevents them from farming (infects the livestock and farming animals), although the land is very fertile. Also, 500,000,000 people in that country don't have access to clean water because of the fly. It also causes disease in humans.

Chemicals have been used to totally eradicate insects from regions in the past, but it does not work in this case. There have been many control attempts that have had limited success, such as releasing sterilized males back into the region.These flies are attracted to very specific visual wavelengths from miles away and can be trapped using scent as well (acetone and cows blood found to be effective). In addition, attracting with sound may be possible. They are very difficult to kill and also sterilizing the parasite in a dead tsetse requires high temperatures. I think there are still many attempts being made at total eradication, but it seems to me that it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. The technology to do so certainly already exists, there is simply little incentive for people to tackle the problem. It will have an effect on the ecosystem and nutrient cycling, but the situation is dire here and humans should come first. Use your engineering degree to build cheap, one-man operating multi-component traps that call them in from miles away, then incinerate the little bastards by the millions. Writing or reading books won't help these people with their problem.

Likes Philethan
Fervent Freyja said:
Eradicate the tsetse fly from Africa without using chemicals harmful to humans. In doing so, you will allow hundreds of millions of people to take care of themselves. The fly prevents them from farming (infects the livestock and farming animals), although the land is very fertile. Also, 500,000,000 people in that country don't have access to clean water because of the fly. It also causes disease in humans.

Chemicals have been used to totally eradicate insects from regions in the past, but it does not work in this case. There have been many control attempts that have had limited success, such as releasing sterilized males back into the region.These flies are attracted to very specific visual wavelengths from miles away and can be trapped using scent as well (acetone and cows blood found to be effective). In addition, attracting with sound may be possible. They are very difficult to kill and also sterilizing the parasite in a dead tsetse requires high temperatures. I think there are still many attempts being made at total eradication, but it seems to me that it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. The technology to do so certainly already exists, there is simply little incentive for people to tackle the problem. It will have an effect on the ecosystem and nutrient cycling, but the situation is dire here and humans should come first. Use your engineering degree to build cheap, one-man operating multi-component traps that call them in from miles away, then incinerate the little bastards by the millions. Writing or reading books won't help these people with their problem.
Thanks a lot! It really helps!

Philethan said:
Thanks a lot! It really helps!

Well, are you going to try to do it or not, even if people never know your name?

There may be some opportunities doing research at your university, they are exploring different methods of insect control and may welcome a chemical engineer, that also wants to do mechanical engineering (I assume both):
Meanwhile, we are increasing opportunities for individuals whose first degree is not insect-related to join us. Given the amazing diversity of insects, students can explore a traditional or a novel biological phenomenon with convenient target animals. In addition, we love to see students from various backgrounds to strengthen the study of insect science itself.

1. How can my physics knowledge help in solving environmental problems?

There are many ways in which your physics knowledge can contribute to solving environmental problems. For instance, you can use your understanding of energy and thermodynamics to develop sustainable energy solutions, or you can apply principles of fluid mechanics to design more efficient systems for managing water resources.

2. Can I use physics to improve medical technology?

Absolutely! Physics plays a crucial role in medical technology. For example, your knowledge of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter can help in developing advanced medical imaging techniques such as MRI and PET scans. Additionally, your understanding of mechanics can aid in building more precise and effective medical equipment.

3. How can physics be applied in the field of transportation?

Physics is essential in the transportation industry. Your understanding of mechanics and forces can help in designing more fuel-efficient vehicles and optimizing traffic flow. Additionally, principles of aerodynamics can be utilized in developing faster and more sustainable modes of transportation, such as high-speed trains and electric airplanes.

4. How can physics contribute to the development of new materials?

Physics plays a significant role in the development of new materials. Your knowledge of atomic and molecular interactions can help in understanding the properties of different materials and predicting their behavior under different conditions. This information is crucial in designing new materials with specific properties and applications, such as stronger and lighter alloys for use in construction and transportation.

5. Can physics help in addressing global issues such as poverty and hunger?

Yes, physics can contribute to addressing global issues like poverty and hunger. For example, your understanding of thermodynamics and heat transfer can help in developing more efficient and affordable technologies for cooking and preserving food in developing countries. Additionally, your knowledge of optics and light can aid in improving access to clean and renewable energy sources for those in poverty.