1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use the residue theorem when I have an exponential as the pole?

1. May 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q. Use residues and the contour shown (where R > 1) to establish the integration formula

[tex] \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{dx}{x^3+1} = \frac{2\pi}{3 \sqrt{3}} [/tex]

The given contour is a segment of an arc which goes from R (on the x-axis) to Rexp(i*2*pi/3)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the function [itex] f(x) = \frac{dx}{x^3+1} [/tex]
    I have worked out that there is only only one pole inside the contour (R >1) which is [tex] x=e^{\frac{i\pi}{3}} [/tex]

So the residue would be

2 * pi * i * Res_([tex] x=e^{\frac{i\pi}{3}} [/tex]) f(x)

But I'm not sure how to do that residue as I've never calculated one with an e in it before... any suggestions? :) Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

p.s sorry I couldn't get the LaTex to show up, someone told me how to do it, but that is obviously not it...

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2007 #2
    The opening tags shouldn't have a slashes.

4. May 22, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To deal with the part of the contour along the complex line substitute t*exp(i*2*pi/3) into the integral. You should be able to convince yourself that this part of the contour has been cleverly picked to have a simple relation to the integral along the x axis. If we call the integral along the x-axis I, then the integral along this line going outward is I*exp(i*2*pi/3). Now convince yourself you can ignore the contribution from the arc in the limit as R->infinity. So the total integral along the contour is I-I*exp(i*2*pi/3). (The minus sign coming because we are integrating counterclockwise around the region). Now equate this to what you get from the residue theorem (it's a simple pole, just like in the 1/(x^2+1) case) and solve for I.

5. May 22, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Er, it's just a number, like any other. What's giving you problems?

Incidentally, you have the wrong tags for LaTeX. You want
    [tex]YourLatexHere[/tex]

6. May 22, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The e doesn't make any difference. It's still lim(z->z0) (z-z0)*f(z). Factor the cubic as (z-z0)*(z-z1)*(z-z2) where the zi's are the three cube roots of -1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?