How to use the residue theorem when I have an exponential as the pole?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
laura_a
Messages
64
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Q. Use residues and the contour shown (where R > 1) to establish the integration formula

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{dx}{x^3+1} = \frac{2\pi}{3 \sqrt{3}}[/tex]

The given contour is a segment of an arc which goes from R (on the x-axis) to Rexp(i*2*pi/3)

Homework Equations






The Attempt at a Solution



For the function [itex]f(x) = \frac{dx}{x^3+1} [/tex]<br /> I have worked out that there is only only one pole inside the contour (R >1) which is [tex]x=e^{\frac{i\pi}{3}}[/tex]<br /> <br /> So the residue would be<br /> <br /> 2 * pi * i * Res_([tex]x=e^{\frac{i\pi}{3}}[/tex]) f(x)<br /> <br /> But I'm not sure how to do that residue as I've never calculated one with an e in it before... any suggestions? :) Thanks<br /> <h2>Homework Statement </h2><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> p.s sorry I couldn't get the LaTex to show up, someone told me how to do it, but that is obviously not it...[/itex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To deal with the part of the contour along the complex line substitute t*exp(i*2*pi/3) into the integral. You should be able to convince yourself that this part of the contour has been cleverly picked to have a simple relation to the integral along the x axis. If we call the integral along the x-axis I, then the integral along this line going outward is I*exp(i*2*pi/3). Now convince yourself you can ignore the contribution from the arc in the limit as R->infinity. So the total integral along the contour is I-I*exp(i*2*pi/3). (The minus sign coming because we are integrating counterclockwise around the region). Now equate this to what you get from the residue theorem (it's a simple pole, just like in the 1/(x^2+1) case) and solve for I.
 
laura_a said:
But I'm not sure how to do that residue as I've never calculated one with an e in it before... any suggestions? :)
Er, it's just a number, like any other. What's giving you problems?


Incidentally, you have the wrong tags for LaTeX. You want
[[/size]tex]YourLatexHere[/tex]
 
The e doesn't make any difference. It's still lim(z->z0) (z-z0)*f(z). Factor the cubic as (z-z0)*(z-z1)*(z-z2) where the zi's are the three cube roots of -1.