How to use the residue theorem when I have an exponential as the pole?

That's all there is to it.In summary, the conversation discusses using residues and a given contour to establish an integration formula for a function. The residue is calculated for a pole inside the contour, and the contribution from the arc is ignored in the limit as R approaches infinity. The conversation also touches on using LaTeX to display equations.
laura_a

Homework Statement

Q. Use residues and the contour shown (where R > 1) to establish the integration formula

[tex] \int^{\infty}_{0} \frac{dx}{x^3+1} = \frac{2\pi}{3 \sqrt{3}} [/tex]

The given contour is a segment of an arc which goes from R (on the x-axis) to Rexp(i*2*pi/3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the function [itex] f(x) = \frac{dx}{x^3+1} [/tex]
I have worked out that there is only only one pole inside the contour (R >1) which is [tex] x=e^{\frac{i\pi}{3}} [/tex]

So the residue would be

2 * pi * i * Res_([tex] x=e^{\frac{i\pi}{3}} [/tex]) f(x)

But I'm not sure how to do that residue as I've never calculated one with an e in it before... any suggestions? :) Thanks

Homework Statement

p.s sorry I couldn't get the LaTex to show up, someone told me how to do it, but that is obviously not it...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The opening tags shouldn't have a slashes.

To deal with the part of the contour along the complex line substitute t*exp(i*2*pi/3) into the integral. You should be able to convince yourself that this part of the contour has been cleverly picked to have a simple relation to the integral along the x axis. If we call the integral along the x-axis I, then the integral along this line going outward is I*exp(i*2*pi/3). Now convince yourself you can ignore the contribution from the arc in the limit as R->infinity. So the total integral along the contour is I-I*exp(i*2*pi/3). (The minus sign coming because we are integrating counterclockwise around the region). Now equate this to what you get from the residue theorem (it's a simple pole, just like in the 1/(x^2+1) case) and solve for I.

laura_a said:
But I'm not sure how to do that residue as I've never calculated one with an e in it before... any suggestions? :)
Er, it's just a number, like any other. What's giving you problems?

Incidentally, you have the wrong tags for LaTeX. You want
[tex]YourLatexHere[/tex]

The e doesn't make any difference. It's still lim(z->z0) (z-z0)*f(z). Factor the cubic as (z-z0)*(z-z1)*(z-z2) where the zi's are the three cube roots of -1.

1. How do I identify an exponential as the pole when using the residue theorem?

The exponential function can be identified as the pole when it is the only function in the denominator of the integrand, and it is raised to a power that is a complex number. For example, if the integrand is 1/(z-e^i), then e^i is the exponential pole.

2. Can I use the residue theorem for integrals with multiple exponential poles?

Yes, the residue theorem can be applied to integrals with multiple exponential poles. The residues at each pole can be calculated separately and then added together to find the total integral.

3. How do I calculate the residue at an exponential pole?

To calculate the residue at an exponential pole, you can use the formula Res(f(z),z_0) = lim(z->z_0) (z-z_0)f(z), where z_0 is the location of the pole and f(z) is the integrand. This formula can also be modified for poles with higher powers.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when using the residue theorem with an exponential pole?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider. If the exponential pole is a simple pole (power of 1), then the residue can be calculated directly using the formula mentioned in the previous question. However, if the pole has a higher power, the residue calculation may require additional steps. Also, if the exponential function is raised to a negative power, the residue will be equal to 0.

5. Can the residue theorem be used to evaluate integrals with non-exponential poles?

Yes, the residue theorem can be applied to integrals with any type of pole, not just exponential poles. The only requirement is that the pole is isolated and inside the contour of integration.