Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to view .he5 file?

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    How to view .he5 file??

Not sure if this is the right place in the forum to ask this question. If it isn't, feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

I am trying to obtain some data from the NASA NOAA website for a project I am working on, namely some ozone data from this page:

http://daac.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/...H=datapool/MLS_DP/Level2.002/ML2O3/2008/06/06

I checked where it said 'select' in the data file box, then narrrowed down my spatial setting to the region where I needed the data. After clicking the 'submit subset request' I reach a page that has this:

Subsetted Data Download Instructions:

Single file download: click on the file: MLS-Aura_L2GP-O3_v02-23-c01_2008d158.SUB.he5

Multiple file download:
    Download the FTP_script: order_21205.txt
    On SGI or Linux machine, run: ftp -p -n acdisc.gsfc.nasa.gov < order_21205.txt
    On DOS, SunOS or Windows/Mac platforms, run: ftp -n acdisc.gsfc.nasa.gov < order_21205.txt

My question is, how does one view a .he5 file?? I have never seen this before. Additionally, this page attempts to offer assitance but I have no idea what it is telling me to do:

http://daac.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/datapool/HELP/DATAPOOL/A_access_data.shtml

Can anyone offer any help as to how to extract and view this data?? Or if possible, can someone just extract it and paste it here? Thanks for any help you can give me, this is sort of important.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: How to view .he5 file??

The page just describes how to downloadthe files from ftp - useful advice for 1990 but less so now.

googling ".he5 file" the first two hits gives papers describing the file format, it looks like you will have to write something to extract the data.
    Odd that they should use such an opaque binary file format when there are already NASA standards like FITS for this sort of thing.

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3

Thanks. Managed to download a program called HDFView that reads those kinds of files directly. I guess the latest creation of the Hierarchical Data Format for Earth Observing System related data, or the so-called "he5" data file, is used by NASA in instances where there is a lot of data that would otherwise create a prohibitively large sized file. Who knows, who really cares. Just glad I found a program to read it.

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Moved to "computers" since I think it fits best here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?