1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to work with non-constant forces?

1. Dec 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1 kg. block at rest is pushed with a force of x^2, where x is the displacement (in meters). What is the speed of the object at 10 meters?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did x^2 = ma and found the acceleration by dividing the mass which is just 1. So a = x^2. I integrated to find the velocity function so I got [(x^3)/3] + C. It's initially at rest so at x = 0, the velocity is 0 which means C = 0 so I can get rid of that. If I plug in 10 meters into the velocity equation: (10^3)/3 I get 333.3 m/s. Solution says this is wrong but I have never worked with integration before so I'm not sure how to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

I would consider using the Work energy theorem.

4. Dec 16, 2012 #3
    So the total work done is F*d. So that's 10x^2. Initial velocity is 0 at rest so change in KE = Work done: (1/2)mv^2 = 10x^2. Solve for v and it's sqrt(20)*x. At x = 10, I get v = 10sqrt(20). Is this right?

5. Dec 16, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The force is not constant. You'll have to integrate: W = ∫F(x)dx

6. Dec 16, 2012 #5
    So the total work done is (x^3)/3 ? So can I do:

(x^3)/3 = (1/2)mv^2
    666.66 = v^2
    v = 25.8 m/s ?

7. Dec 16, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook