How to work with non-constant forces?

In summary, when a 1 kg block at rest is pushed with a force of x^2, the speed of the object at 10 meters can be found by using the Work Energy Theorem and integrating the force function. The resulting velocity function is (x^3)/3, and when 10 meters is plugged in, the speed is 25.8 m/s.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

A 1 kg. block at rest is pushed with a force of x^2, where x is the displacement (in meters). What is the speed of the object at 10 meters?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I did x^2 = ma and found the acceleration by dividing the mass which is just 1. So a = x^2. I integrated to find the velocity function so I got [(x^3)/3] + C. It's initially at rest so at x = 0, the velocity is 0 which means C = 0 so I can get rid of that. If I plug in 10 meters into the velocity equation: (10^3)/3 I get 333.3 m/s. Solution says this is wrong but I have never worked with integration before so I'm not sure how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would consider using the Work energy theorem.

So the total work done is F*d. So that's 10x^2. Initial velocity is 0 at rest so change in KE = Work done: (1/2)mv^2 = 10x^2. Solve for v and it's sqrt(20)*x. At x = 10, I get v = 10sqrt(20). Is this right?

PhizKid said:
So the total work done is F*d.
The force is not constant. You'll have to integrate: W = ∫F(x)dx

So the total work done is (x^3)/3 ? So can I do:

(x^3)/3 = (1/2)mv^2
666.66 = v^2
v = 25.8 m/s ?

PhizKid said:
So the total work done is (x^3)/3 ? So can I do:

(x^3)/3 = (1/2)mv^2
666.66 = v^2
v = 25.8 m/s ?
Looks good to me.

FAQ: How to work with non-constant forces?

1. What is a non-constant force?

A non-constant force is a type of force that changes in magnitude and/or direction over time or distance. This can be caused by various factors such as friction, air resistance, or gravity, and it can affect the motion of an object.

2. How do you calculate the work done by a non-constant force?

The work done by a non-constant force can be calculated by finding the area under the force vs. distance graph. This can be done by breaking the graph into smaller sections and calculating the area of each section, then adding them together to find the total work done.

3. How does working with non-constant forces differ from working with constant forces?

Working with non-constant forces requires taking into account the changes in force over time or distance, whereas working with constant forces only requires knowing the initial and final values of the force. Non-constant forces also require more complex calculations, such as finding the area under a graph, compared to the simple formula for work done by a constant force (force x distance).

4. What are some real-world examples of non-constant forces?

Some examples of non-constant forces include a car accelerating and decelerating due to changes in friction and air resistance, a rollercoaster moving through loops and curves with changes in gravitational force, and a person walking up a hill against the force of gravity.

5. How can you use calculus to work with non-constant forces?

Calculus can be used to find the exact value of work done by a non-constant force by taking the limit of smaller and smaller sections of the graph. It can also be used to find the maximum or minimum work done by a non-constant force by finding the derivative of the work function and setting it equal to zero.

Back