How to write mathematical expressions?

LateX and mentions that they have read a crash course on it. They share an example expression and ask for feedback. Nylex suggests that the issue may be a space between [tex] and a^2. Daniel disagrees and provides the correct format for the expression. Gamma acknowledges that they made a mistake in using [/tex] instead of [\tex]. In summary, Gamma is seeking assistance with writing mathematical expressions using LateX and receives helpful feedback from Nylex and Daniel to correct their mistake.
Gamma
Can anyone tell me how I can write mathematical expressions here. I read the 'LateX crash course'. See what happens.

[tex] a^2 + b = sqrt {c}[\tex]

What am I doing wrong?

regards,
Gamma.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got a space between [tex] and a^2, methinks that's why it isn't being parsed.

Nylex said:
You've got a space between (tex) and a^2, methinks that's why it isn't being parsed.

You're wrong,Nylex.LaTex doesn't mind about spaces.He wrote "a^2 + b = sqrt {c}(\tex)",instead of "a^2 + b =\sqrt{c}(/tex).Which should give:
[tex] a^2 + b = \sqrt {c}[/tex]

Daniel.

PS.I used "(" instead of "[" so that the compiler wouldn't give error.Click on the fromula to see the code and compare it with yours.

Last edited:
Thank You.

Got it. I think the error is in the back slash in [/tex]

[tex] a^2 + b = \sqrt{c}[/tex]

Gamma

1. What is a mathematical expression?

A mathematical expression is a combination of numbers, symbols, and operations that can be used to represent a mathematical calculation or relationship. It can be written using mathematical notation, such as addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (*), division (/), and exponentiation (^).

2. How do I write a mathematical expression?

To write a mathematical expression, start by identifying the numbers and variables involved in the calculation. Then, use the appropriate symbols and operations to represent the relationship between them. Remember to follow the rules of mathematical notation, such as using parentheses to indicate the order of operations.

3. What is the importance of writing mathematical expressions?

Writing mathematical expressions is important because it allows us to represent complex mathematical ideas and calculations in a concise and organized way. It also helps in solving problems and communicating mathematical concepts effectively.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when writing mathematical expressions?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when writing mathematical expressions. These include using incorrect symbols or operations, not following the order of operations, forgetting to use parentheses, and not simplifying the expression when possible.

5. Can you give an example of a mathematical expression?

Yes, an example of a mathematical expression is 2x + 5y - 3z, where x, y, and z are variables representing different numbers. This expression can be used to calculate the total value of a company's assets by multiplying the number of shares (x) by their value (2), adding the cash on hand (5y), and subtracting the liabilities (3z).