How Was the Mass of the Electron First Measured?

• Thread starter Justryingtopasschem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the method of how the electron was first weighed was through the Millikan Oil Drop experiment, where the mass/charge ratio was found, and J.J. Thomson's previous discovery of e/m. A mass spectrometer was also used to measure the mass of the electron. This information can also be found by researching the Oil Drop Experiment and its connection to the charge and mass of the electron.
Justryingtopasschem
Could anyone on here tell me how the electron was first weighed. Like how did they find the mass of the electron? Please I need to know!

Physics news on Phys.org
Justryingtopasschem said:
Could anyone on here tell me how the electron was first weighed. Like how did they find the mass of the electron? Please I need to know!

Try looking for the Millikan Oil Drop experiment.

Zz.

okay..but will that help me.. i know he foudn out the charge with that...but the mass?

No,no,he found the mass.The mass/charge ratio had been found by J.J.Thomson in 1897...:wink:

Daniel.

And one moe thing,i know you're just trying to pass chemistry,but please do not double post/address the same question in different threads...

Unless you like seing double...:-p

Daniel.

Thomson found e/m.
Millikan found e.
From the two measurements, m was deduced by division.

so they never really weighed it...

Yes,they did,it's called MASS SPECTROMETER...:wink:

Daniel.

omg I am so confused with this chem stuff...my teach told me to find out how they weighed the electron and proton for Xtra credit and nothing is comming up on google

yeah we just learned about the oil drop experiment..that's only bout the charge isn't it

Related to How Was the Mass of the Electron First Measured?

1. What is electron mass?

Electron mass refers to the mass of an individual electron, one of the fundamental particles that make up atoms.

2. How is electron mass measured?

Electron mass is measured using a device called a mass spectrometer. This device uses an electric and magnetic field to separate particles based on their mass-to-charge ratio.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electron mass?

The unit of measurement for electron mass is typically expressed in kilograms (kg) or its subunits, such as grams (g) or atomic mass units (u).

4. Why is measuring electron mass important?

Measuring electron mass is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of atoms. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and chemistry.

5. How accurate are measurements of electron mass?

Measurements of electron mass are extremely accurate, with a relative uncertainty of less than 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001%. This level of precision is essential for many scientific calculations and experiments.