How we compute killing vector for two-sphere

In summary, the metric on S^2 is given by \displaystyle ds^2=d\theta^2 + sin^2\theta d\phi^2 and the Killing vectors can be calculated by pulling off the g_{\mu\nu} from the line element, calculating the inverses g^{\mu\nu}, and then computing the Christoffel symbols from the metric components. The Killing vector equation is \nabla_{\mu}\zeta_{\nu} + \nabla_{\nu}\zeta_{\mu}=0 and can be solved by integration to find the form of the functions for \xi_{\mu}. The independent Killing vectors are \xi^{\theta}\partial_{
off-diagonal
The metric on [itex]S^2[/itex] is given by,
[itex]\displaystyle ds^2=d\theta^2 + sin^2\theta d\phi^2[/itex]

Here's the answer

[itex] \displaystyle \xi ^{\mu}_{(1)}\partial _{\mu} = \partial_{\phi}[/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \xi^{\mu}_{(2)}\partial_{\mu} = \ -(cos\phi \partial_{\theta} - cot\theta sin\phi \partial_{\phi}) [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \xi^{\mu}_{(3)}\partial_{\mu} = sin\phi \partial_{\theta} + cot\theta cos\phi \partial_{\phi}[/itex]

from Black Hole Physics: Basic Concepts and New Development by Frolov & Novikov
Appendix B

Anyone can explain me how to compute this 3 Killing vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to pull off the [tex]g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] from the line element and then easily calculate the inverses [tex]g^{\mu\nu}[/tex]. Then you have to calculate the Christoffel symbols from the metric components (looking hard at the equations for these, can you see which symbols will be non-vanishing ahead of time?). Then you know how the covariant derivative acts (See standard equations for GR). Then the Killing vector equation is [tex] \nabla_{\mu}\zeta_{\nu} + \nabla_{\nu}\zeta_{\mu}=0[/tex]. After you've carefully written these things out, you can do some integrals to pull out the Killing vectors from the above equation.

javierR said:
You'll need to pull off the [tex]g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] from the line element and then easily calculate the inverses [tex]g^{\mu\nu}[/tex]. Then you have to calculate the Christoffel symbols from the metric components (looking hard at the equations for these, can you see which symbols will be non-vanishing ahead of time?). Then you know how the covariant derivative acts (See standard equations for GR). Then the Killing vector equation is [tex] \nabla_{\mu}\zeta_{\nu} + \nabla_{\nu}\zeta_{\mu}=0[/tex]. After you've carefully written these things out, you can do some integrals to pull out the Killing vectors from the above equation.

Thank you for your answer
but after I perform calculation. I found a problem that may cause from my misunderstand about Killing vector equation.

Here's the detail
from these metric
[itex]\displaystyle ds^2=d\theta^2 + sin^2\theta d\phi^2 [/itex] I can read out metric tensor component as [itex]\displaystyle g_{\theta}_{\theta}= 1 g_{\phi}_{\phi}=sin^2\theta[/itex]
so I can compute Christoffel symbol , there are two component in [itex]S^2[/itex] case
[itex]\displaystyle \Gamma^{\theta}_{\phi\phi}=-sin\theta cos\theta[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle \Gamma^{\phi}_{\phi \theta}=cot\theta[/itex]

and from Killing equation I've got three equation

[itex]\displaystyle \mu=\nu=\theta [/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle \partial_{\theta}\xi_{\theta}=0[/itex] since there are no [itex]\displaystyle \Gamma^{i}_{\theta\theta}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \mu=\nu=\phi[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle \partial_{\phi}\xi_{\phi}+sin\theta cos\theta \xi_{\theta}= 0[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \mu=\theta,\nu=\phi[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle \partial_{\theta}\xi_{\phi}+\partial_{\phi}\xi_{\theta}-2cot\theta \xi_{\phi}= 0[/itex]

What should I do next? to find all [itex]{\xi}[/itex]
PS. since my answer has a term which depend on[itex]\phi[/itex] but until my last calculation I found no [itex]\phi[/itex] terms appear so am I miscalculate somewhere above?

Sorry, I didn't see your message till now. If you still need it: Now you can solve for the [tex]\xi_{\mu}[/tex] by integration for each of the three equations. Try finding the form of the theta one first and then proceed to the next one using that result, and so on. You'll have to do some analysis to get the explicit form of the functions, and don't forget the presence of integration constants (constant with respect to one or both variables that is, since we're dealing with partial derivatives). Once you get the functions for theta and phi, you can easily invert them with the form of the metric you wrote down. Then the independent Killing vectors are [tex]\xi^{\theta}\partial_{\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\xi^{\phi}\partial_{\phi}[/tex], and a general Killing vector is a linear combination of these. (You can also show that you can write such a Killing vector split into three parts corresponding to generators of rotations on the sphere).

1. How do you define a killing vector on a two-sphere?

A killing vector on a two-sphere is a vector field that preserves the metric of the surface. In other words, it is a vector that does not change the distance between points on the surface when it acts on them.

2. What is the mathematical equation for computing a killing vector on a two-sphere?

The mathematical equation for computing a killing vector on a two-sphere is given by: LXgab = 0, where LX is the Lie derivative along the vector X and gab is the metric tensor of the two-sphere.

3. Why is it important to compute killing vectors on a two-sphere?

Computing killing vectors on a two-sphere is important because they provide a way to study the symmetries and isometries of the surface. They also play a crucial role in understanding the geometry and dynamics of the two-sphere.

4. What is the physical significance of a killing vector on a two-sphere?

A killing vector on a two-sphere has physical significance as it represents a conserved quantity in a system. For example, in the case of a rotating two-sphere, the killing vector associated with rotational symmetry represents the conservation of angular momentum.

5. Can you give an example of how a killing vector is used in real-world applications?

One example of how a killing vector is used in real-world applications is in the study of black holes. The killing vector associated with time translation symmetry is used to define the notion of time in the vicinity of a black hole. It also plays a key role in the equations of motion for particles orbiting around a black hole.