Is my reasoning about commutators of vectors right?

In summary: This is because the basis vectors are defined to be constant with respect to themselves, so their commutator will always be zero. Therefore, the result [∂r,∂θ]=0 is expected and does not contradict any ideas about holonomic bases.
JuanC97
Hello guys, I have a question regarding commutators of vector fields and its pushforwards.

Let me define a clockwise rotation in the plane [itex] \,\phi:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^2 \,.\; [\,\partial_x\,,\,\partial_y\,]=0 \,[/itex], [itex] \;(\phi_{*}\partial_x) = \partial_r [/itex] and [itex] \,(\phi_{*}\partial_y) = \partial_\theta [/itex]

I'd like to compute [itex] [\,
\frac{x\partial_x+\,y\partial_y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}
\,,\,
\frac{x\partial_y-\,y\partial_x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}
\,][/itex], i.e: [itex] [\,
(\cos\hspace{-0.025cm}\theta)\partial_x+(\sin\hspace{-0.025cm}\theta)\partial_y
\,,\,
-(\sin\hspace{-0.025cm}\theta)\partial_x+(\cos\hspace{-0.025cm}\theta)\partial_y
\,][/itex].

We can identify this result with [itex][\,
\partial_r
\,,\,
\partial_\theta
\,]
=
[\,
\phi_{*}\partial_x
\,,\,
\phi_{*}\partial_y
\,] [/itex] but we know that [itex] [\,
\phi_{*}\partial_x
\,,\,
\phi_{*}\partial_y
\,] = \phi_{*}[\, \partial_x \,,\, \partial_y \,] [/itex]
hence [itex][\,
\partial_r
\,,\,
\partial_\theta
\,] = 0 [/itex]. But... I don't know, this seems to contradict some ideas I had before about holonomic bases.

As far as I knew, if one defines a new basis [itex]\{e_{\mu'}\}[/itex] in terms of an holonomic basis [itex]\{\partial_{\mu}\}[/itex] such that [itex] e_{\mu'} = A_{\mu'}^{\mu}\partial_\mu [/itex], one should not expect this new basis to be holonomic but, following the reasoning I just showed you above, one could always identify the action of the matrix A with the action of the pushforward of some map, ending up again with a situation like [itex] [\, e_{\mu'} \,,\, e_{\nu'} \,] = \phi_{*}[\, \partial_\mu \,,\, \partial_\nu \,] = 0[/itex] which would explicitly contradict the original idea about what to expect (or not) about this kind of bases.

Could anyone, please, help me to understand where is the problem in this reasoning (if there's one)?.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JuanC97 said:
et's define a clockwise rotation in the plane ϕ:R2→R2ϕ:R2→R2 \,\phi:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^2 .

We know that [∂x,∂y]=0[∂x,∂y]=0 [\,\partial_x\,,\,\partial_y\,]=0 \,, also (ϕ∗∂x)=∂r(ϕ∗∂x)=∂r \,(\phi_{*}\partial_x) = \partial_r and (ϕ∗∂y)=∂θ(ϕ∗∂y)=∂θ \,(\phi_{*}\partial_y) = \partial_\theta
This does not look like a rotation to me. Rather a non-linear map where the Cartesian coordinates are mapped to the points as if they were polar coordinates.

JuanC97 said:
As far as I knew, if I define a new basis {eμ′}{eμ′}\{e_{\mu'}\} in terms of an old holonomic basis {∂μ}{∂μ}\{\partial_{\mu}\} such that eμ′=Aμμ′∂μeμ′=Aμ′μ∂μ e_{\mu'} = A_{\mu'}^{\mu}\partial_\mu , I should not expect this new basis to be holonomic but, following the reasoning I just showed you, one could always identify the action of the matrix A as the action of the pushforward and one would always end up with a situation like
[eμ′,eν′]=ϕ∗[∂μ,∂ν]=0[eμ′,eν′]=ϕ∗[∂μ,∂ν]=0 [\, e_{\mu'} \,,\, e_{\nu'} \,] = \phi_{*}[\, \partial_\mu \,,\, \partial_\nu \,] = 0 contradicting the little I thought I knew.
You should not expect an arbitrary basis to be holonomic. However, it can be holonomic. In particular, when you choose a basis to be holonomic basis and then express that basis in another holonomic basis, it is obviously not going to change the fact that your chosen basis was holonomic from the beginning.

Orodruin said:
This does not look like a rotation to me. Rather a non-linear map where the Cartesian coordinates are mapped to the points as if they were polar coordinates.

Yeah, you're right, I should've called it a "change of coordinates" instead of "a clockwise rotation".

And... about this, what do you think?
JuanC97 said:
hence [∂r,∂θ]=0

The Lie bracket of any two basis vectors from a holonomic basis is always zero.

1. What is a commutator of vectors?

A commutator of vectors is a mathematical operation that involves taking the cross product of two vectors and then subtracting the cross product of the same two vectors in reverse order. It is often used in physics and engineering to determine the rotational motion of objects.

2. How do you calculate the commutator of vectors?

The commutator of vectors can be calculated using the formula [A, B] = AB - BA, where A and B are two vectors. This means taking the cross product of A and B, and then subtracting the cross product of B and A in reverse order.

3. What does the commutator of vectors tell us?

The commutator of vectors tells us about the rotational motion of objects. It can help us determine the direction and magnitude of the angular velocity of an object, as well as the torque acting on the object.

4. Can the commutator of vectors be applied to any type of vector?

Yes, the commutator of vectors can be applied to any type of vector, including position, velocity, and acceleration vectors. It is a general mathematical operation that is used in various fields of science and engineering.

5. What are some real-life applications of the commutator of vectors?

The commutator of vectors has many real-life applications, including in mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, calculate magnetic fields, and understand the behavior of subatomic particles.