How Does Magneto Control Metal and Non-Magnetic Objects?

• Thread starter FallenApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, Dave argues that it is possible for a source of magnetic fields to control the trajectory of magnetized objects at a distance, and provides additional reasons why this is unlikely in the real world.
FallenApple
He seems to move metal around freely. I could imagine that he could do a push pull type of action, but that's about it. Even then, he would need to be able to alter his mass to avoid being repelled.

Is it at all possible that a source of magnetic fields freely controls the field lines in such a way to completely determine the trajectory of magnetized objects at a location far away?

Physics news on Phys.org
How would he work? He wouldn't. He works in the marvel universe because he can create magnetic fields of arbitrary strength anywhere within his vicinity.

Ryan_m_b said:
How would he work? He wouldn't. He works in the marvel universe because he can create magnetic fields of arbitrary strength anywhere within his vicinity.
Yeah, there are definitely energy conservation issues.

I know the answer is "it's fantasy" but I like these types of questions. I think we can rephrase it to ask how somebody might plausibly have a similar ability.

We do have prosthetic devices now which people can learn to control (more or less) like a normal functioning appendage. What if, instead of a hand that opened/closed and grabbed stuff, we equipped a person with an electromagnet whose strength they could control in a similar fashion?

I have no idea why we would do it or what the advantage would be.

-Dave K

FallenApple said:
Is it at all possible that a source of magnetic fields freely controls the field lines in such a way to completely determine the trajectory of magnetized objects at a location far away?
Well, in the world of sci-fic magic, sure. That's exactly what he does, AND he does it without any corresponding reaction on his body. In the real world, this is just silly.

I always assumed it had nothing to do with magnetism. He seems to be able to manipulate all metal, not just magnetic ones. He also seems able to apply forces that are far too strong for magnetism. Hasn't he stopped bullets in their tracks? Those are very small, very fast, and not magnetic.

Likes Ryan_m_b and phinds
newjerseyrunner said:
I always assumed it had nothing to do with magnetism. He seems to be able to manipulate all metal, not just magnetic ones. He also seems able to apply forces that are far too strong for magnetism. Hasn't he stopped bullets in their tracks? Those are very small, very fast, and not magnetic.
Since it's all just magic anyway I hadn't really thought about it but those are excellent points.

Likes newjerseyrunner

1. How does Magneto control metal?

Magneto has the ability to manipulate and control magnetic fields. This allows him to control metal objects by manipulating the magnetic particles within them.

2. Does Magneto have any limitations to his powers?

While Magneto is extremely powerful, he does have some limitations. He can only control objects that contain metal, and the amount of control he has over an object depends on its size and composition. He also has a weakness to strong magnetic fields, which can disrupt his powers.

3. Can Magneto fly?

Yes, Magneto has the ability to fly by levitating himself using magnetic fields. He can also manipulate the magnetic fields around him to move through the air at high speeds.

4. How does Magneto create force fields?

Magneto is able to create force fields by controlling and manipulating the magnetic particles in the air. This allows him to create a barrier that can protect him or others from physical attacks.

5. Can Magneto control non-metal objects?

No, Magneto's powers are limited to controlling metal objects. He cannot manipulate non-metal objects, such as wood or plastic, with his magnetic abilities.