Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would one measure magnetic vector potential?

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    How would one measure magnetic vector potential? I know there is a formula, but is there an experiment that proves it?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2
    Like energy and momentum, verctor potential doesn't really exist, as it cannot be directly measured. It's a term physicists have invented to make the calculations easier.
  4. Feb 12, 2006 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your title for this thread is horrible. How could anyone know to what you were referring?!

Quantum theory predicts that elecrons moving through space where the magetic field is zero, but where the vector potential is non-zero, can be influenced. The effect is called the Aharonov-Bohm effect, and it has been seen experimentally.

5. Feb 12, 2006 #4
    Sorry about that. Well, I'm glad that you know what I ment. I didn't realize this was a quantum event, or I wouldn't have posted here. Should this topic be moved? Anyway, is there someplace I can look to find out more on mvp?
  6. Feb 12, 2006 #5
    Thank you so much- your comment has led me to the solution to my problem !!!!!!!!!!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?