How would one measure magnetic vector potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic vector potential and how it cannot be directly measured but can be predicted through quantum theory. It also mentions the Aharonov-Bohm effect and its experimental evidence. The conversation also touches on the topic of the thread's title and the possibility of moving it to a different forum.
pinestone
How would one measure magnetic vector potential? I know there is a formula, but is there an experiment that proves it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Like energy and momentum, verctor potential doesn't really exist, as it cannot be directly measured. It's a term physicists have invented to make the calculations easier.

pinestone said:
How would one measure magnetic vector potential? I know there is a formula, but is there an experiment that proves it?

Your title for this thread is horrible. How could anyone know to what you were referring?!

Quantum theory predicts that elecrons moving through space where the magetic field is zero, but where the vector potential is non-zero, can be influenced. The effect is called the Aharonov-Bohm effect, and it has been seen experimentally.

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
Your title for this thread is horrible. How could anyone know to what you were referring?!...

Regards,
George
Sorry about that. Well, I'm glad that you know what I ment. I didn't realize this was a quantum event, or I wouldn't have posted here. Should this topic be moved? Anyway, is there someplace I can look to find out more on mvp?

George Jones said:
Quantum theory predicts that elecrons moving through space where the magetic field is zero, but where the vector potential is non-zero, can be influenced. The effect is called the Aharonov-Bohm effect, and it has been seen experimentally.

Regards,
George
Thank you so much- your comment has led me to the solution to my problem !

1. How is magnetic vector potential measured?

The simplest method for measuring magnetic vector potential is to use a magnetic field sensor, such as a Hall effect sensor, and move it through the magnetic field of interest. By recording the voltage output from the sensor at different positions, the magnetic vector potential can be calculated.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic vector potential?

The unit of measurement for magnetic vector potential is the tesla-meter (T·m) in the SI system or the gauss-centimeter (G·cm) in the CGS system. However, it is more commonly expressed in terms of energy units, such as joules per ampere (J/A) or electron-volts per meter (eV/m).

3. How does one measure the direction of magnetic vector potential?

The direction of magnetic vector potential can be measured by using a magnetometer, which is a device that measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. By rotating the sensor, the direction of the magnetic field can be determined and thus the direction of the magnetic vector potential.

4. Is there a non-contact method for measuring magnetic vector potential?

Yes, there are non-contact methods for measuring magnetic vector potential, such as the Faraday rotation technique. This involves passing a beam of polarized light through the magnetic field and measuring the rotation of the light's polarization. The amount of rotation is directly proportional to the magnetic vector potential.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring magnetic vector potential?

One limitation of measuring magnetic vector potential is that it can only be measured in the presence of a magnetic field. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by external factors, such as noise or interference. It is also important to consider the sensitivity and resolution of the measuring device being used.