How would the world look if all particles spin would align?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of objects, specifically a statue, appearing to move due to the alignment of atoms in one of its arms. The question is posed about how the world would look if all atoms of a specific type or all atoms in general were aligned with each other. An analogy is made to a car engine and its pistons to explain the concept of alignment. The topic is related to magnetism and a picture of a frog with aligned atoms is shared.
jjoensuu
Dear physics gurus,

here is a question I have been pondering on.

This is based on something my high school chemistry teacher once said during a discussion of "ghosts" and other spirit creatures. He said, about a statue near school, that it could not be completely ruled out that some random effect would align the spins of all the atoms in one of the statues arms, causing a part of the arm to lift upward.

For an onlooker something like this could then look like the statue was moving.

I must say that I am not qualified to determine if the alignment in spin could cause a movement of the arm, so if anyone has any pointers on that I would welcome it.

On another hand the question I wanted to ask is about how would the world look like if either of following scenarios suddenly became true:
A. the spin of all atoms of a specific type would become aligned with the spin of other atoms of the same type
B. the spin of all atoms would become aligned with each other

What kind of behavior would objects exhibit...like would everything be attracted to each other?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
To make a simple analogy:

Imagine a car engine with its pistons. When one is up, the other is down. They cancel each others motion out, the net force between the pair is zero.

If you then made it so that both pistons moved up and down at the same time, what would be the effect when both pistons were at the top of their rotation? The engine would jump or at the very least, vibrate badly.

Not a clue if this applies to atoms, but it sounds about right.

This is about magnetism. I'm due for a review on the subject, but this fellow:

http://www.ru.nl/publish/pages/561854/frog-klein.jpg

certainly had many of his constituting atoms aligned when that picture was taken. Not sure if it's your scenario a or b. I would guess b.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are particles and what is spin alignment?

Particles are tiny units of matter that make up everything in the world. Spin alignment refers to the direction of spin that a particle has, which can either be clockwise or counterclockwise.

2. How would the world look if all particles spin would align?

If all particles in the world had aligned spins, it would result in a very different world. Objects would behave differently, and the laws of physics would change. For example, magnetic fields would disappear, and some materials may no longer exist.

3. What is the significance of particle spin alignment?

Particle spin alignment plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of matter. It is a fundamental property of particles and is essential in quantum mechanics, which is the study of the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic levels.

4. Is it possible for all particles to have aligned spins?

No, it is not possible for all particles to have aligned spins. This is because spin alignment is a random property, and particles can have different spin directions. Additionally, some particles, such as photons, have a spin of zero and cannot have aligned spins.

5. Are there any real-world applications of aligned particle spins?

Yes, aligned particle spins have several applications in technology, such as in magnetic storage devices, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and quantum computing. Scientists have also been studying spin alignment in hopes of developing new technologies and materials with unique properties.