How would you match up these Z-transforms?

In summary, the conversation is discussing four plots that display samples of two different continuous-time signals, uct(t) = sin(2πt) and vct(t) = e^-t sin(2πt), with two different sampling times. The task is to associate each plot with the corresponding Z transform in a list and justify the answer. Through using the generic denominator equation, the expert concludes that the correct plot is (b) as it matches a pole pair of 1/±10.84°.
jami8337

Homework Statement

In Figure Q1b (on the next page), two plots display samples of the continuous-time signal uct(t) = sin(2πt) and two plots display samples of the continuous-time signal vct(t) = e −t sin(2πt). For each signal, the samples in the corresponding plots are obtained with two different sampling times. Associate each of the four plots with the corresponding Z transform in the list and justify your answer:
Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

Table of Z-Transforms

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so using considering the generic denominator of the Z transform of a sinusoid:

z2+2cdz+d2

I can see that both equations 2 and 3 have a value of d=1 hence they are both undamped systems, so they are either one of (b) or (c)

Then from the generic denominator equation:

for (2) c=-2cos(ωT) =1.9842
= cos(ωT) = -0.9921

For (3) c=-2cos(ωT) =-1.9646
= cos(ωT) = 0.9823

Its at this point I am stuck on what I need to do and how to see which one of b and c is the correct plot?

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jami8337 said:
Its at this point I am stuck on what I need to do and how to see which one of b and c is the correct plot?

In (b) you can count the samples per periode ( about 33.2 samples ). As one period is 360°, (b) matches a polepair = 1 / ±10.84°.

Now solve the roots in denominator in 2) and 3). See if there is a match.

Sorry for the late response, my revision swapped to a different module. That's great thank you managed to solve it for the correct answer using that

1. How do you determine the region of convergence for a Z-transform?

The region of convergence for a Z-transform can be determined by examining the poles and zeros in the Z-transform function. The region of convergence is the set of values for which the Z-transform converges and can be found by analyzing the location of the poles and zeros in the Z-transform function.

2. What is the difference between a one-sided Z-transform and a two-sided Z-transform?

A one-sided Z-transform only considers the values of the signal in the present and future, while a two-sided Z-transform takes into account both the past and future values of the signal. In other words, a one-sided Z-transform assumes that the signal is causal, while a two-sided Z-transform does not make this assumption.

3. How do you determine the inverse Z-transform of a given Z-transform function?

The inverse Z-transform can be determined by using the partial fraction decomposition method or by using the power series expansion method. The partial fraction decomposition method is typically used when the Z-transform function contains distinct poles, while the power series expansion method is used when the Z-transform function contains repeated or complex poles.

4. Can you use the Z-transform to analyze discrete-time systems?

Yes, the Z-transform is commonly used to analyze discrete-time systems. The Z-transform converts a discrete-time signal into a continuous complex function in the Z-domain, which can then be manipulated using algebraic techniques to analyze the system's behavior and properties.

5. How does the Z-transform relate to the Laplace transform?

The Z-transform is a discrete-time equivalent of the Laplace transform, which is used to analyze continuous-time systems. The two transforms are related by the substitution of the complex variable z=e^s in the Z-transform function, which results in the Laplace transform function. This allows for the conversion of signals and systems between the discrete and continuous domains.