HST-1 moving faster than light?

In summary, the conversation was about an abstract in the Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy discussing the apparent speed of an object called HST-1. The abstract mentioned a speed of 1.23c±0.91c, where c is the speed of light. The speakers then discussed the possibility of something traveling faster than the speed of light and the concept of tachyons. They also talked about the expansion of space and how it can result in an apparent speed larger than c. Finally, they mentioned the uncertainty in the measurement of 1.23c±0.91c.
vhbelvadi
I'm no expert in astrophysics so forgive me if this is a trivial question, but I read in (the abstract of) a recent paper in the Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy that "... It appears that HST-1 moves with an apparent speed of 1.23c±0.91c ..."

Now I want to clarify what this means. I take it c is the speed of light? I have no problem with 1.23c-0.91c but when one says 1.23c+0.91c would it not mean the thing is traveling faster than light?

The abstract is here: http://www.ias.ac.in/jaa/marjun2011/abstracts/04.htm
And the paper is here: http://www.ias.ac.in/jaa/marjun2011/04.pdf

Science news on Phys.org
The 0.91c is a tolerance, meaning it could be moving as slowly as 0.32c or as quickly as 2.14c. You were right, c is the speed of light (in a vacuum).

Yes, it could mean that the particle could travel faster than the speed of light. While c is widely considered to be a universal speed limit, it's not an impossibility to travel above c. Tachyons come to mind (although being hypothetical) as particles which travel above c. Of course, no particle traveling above c may carry any form of information, which would not be in accordance with special relativity.

Great, thanks! That clears it.
Now I'll go read up on tachyons.

LJW said:
The 0.91c is a tolerance, meaning it could be moving as slowly as 0.32c or as quickly as 2.14c. You were right, c is the speed of light (in a vacuum).

Yes, it could mean that the particle could travel faster than the speed of light. While c is widely considered to be a universal speed limit, it's not an impossibility to travel above c. Tachyons come to mind (although being hypothetical) as particles which travel above c. Of course, no particle traveling above c may carry any form of information, which would not be in accordance with special relativity.

Hold on a second, this really sounds wrong. What data do you have to support the idea that something can travel faster than c?

vhbelvadi said:
Great, thanks! That clears it.
Now I'll go read up on tachyons.

If I were you I would wait for the attention of an expert.

Note also that space itself expands, this means that it is perfectly possible for two object (say stars) to distance themselves from each other by an apparent speed larger than c. Note the apparent, what is happening is that the space between them is increasing so neither object is traveling at a speed larger than c.

An interesting consequense of this is that there are regions in our universe that have forever lost contact, the space between them is expanding faster than c.

If I measure a value of 1.23 +/- 0.91, I really don't know what the value is that I'm supposed to be measuring.

ryan_m_b said:
I would also advise reading this section of wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light#FTL_travel_of_non-information

There are many things that appear to be FTL but in actuality are not.

Thank you, ryan.

SteamKing said:
If I measure a value of 1.23 +/- 0.91, I really don't know what the value is that I'm supposed to be measuring.

It says c, so it's the speed of light, isn't it?

f95toli said:
Note also that space itself expands, this means that it is perfectly possible for two object (say stars) to distance themselves from each other by an apparent speed larger than c. Note the apparent, what is happening is that the space between them is increasing so neither object is traveling at a speed larger than c.

An interesting consequense of this is that there are regions in our universe that have forever lost contact, the space between them is expanding faster than c.

So the apparent speed is really the true velocity of the stars and the rate of expansion of the space between them, combined?

c is a constant, but that is not what's important. Suppose someone was asked to measure a distance of 1.23 meters, and then came back and said that 1.23 meters is this much +/- 0.91 meter, I don't think he or she would be asked to measure anything again.

Although I don't know about this particular object, they're probably talking about the apparent transverse speed - that is, the speed at which the image of the object moves across the sky, taking into account its distance. Under certain circumstances, if the object is moving toward your telescope, the apparent transverse speed can be measured to be faster than light because the light emitted at early times has further to travel than the light emitted at later times. Wikipedia's article on superluminal motion has more details.

As far as the [itex]1.23c\pm 0.91c[/itex], the 0.91c is an uncertainty. They're saying there is a probability of X% that the true apparent transverse speed is between 0.32c and 2.14c, where X is probably either 68 (1 standard deviation) or 95 (2 standard deviation). I don't know which choice is conventional in that field.

1. How is HST-1 able to move faster than light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can move faster than the speed of light. However, it is possible for objects to appear to be moving faster than light due to certain phenomena, such as gravitational lensing. In the case of HST-1, it is believed that its apparent faster-than-light motion is due to a combination of its location in a region of high gravity and the effects of light bending around it.

2. Can anything actually travel faster than light?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is considered to be a fundamental limit in the universe, and no known object or particle has been observed to travel faster than it. Any apparent faster-than-light motion is likely due to other factors, such as the ones mentioned in the previous question.

3. How does this discovery impact our understanding of space and time?

The discovery of HST-1's apparent faster-than-light motion challenges our current understanding of space and time. It raises questions about the nature of gravity, the behavior of light, and the limits of our current theories. Further research and observations of HST-1 and other similar objects may help us refine our understanding of these fundamental concepts.

4. Is it possible for HST-1 to be traveling through a wormhole or other form of space-time shortcut?

While the idea of traveling through a wormhole or other space-time shortcut is a popular concept in science fiction, there is currently no evidence to suggest that it is possible in reality. Even if HST-1 were able to travel through a wormhole, it would still not be moving faster than light, as the wormhole would simply be a shortcut through space rather than a violation of the speed of light.

5. How does the apparent faster-than-light motion of HST-1 affect our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of HST-1's faster-than-light motion raises new questions and challenges to our current understanding of the universe. It may lead to a better understanding of the behavior of light and gravity, and could potentially open up new avenues for research and discovery in the field of astrophysics. However, more research and observations are needed to fully understand the implications of this phenomenon on our understanding of the universe.