What is the Best Online HTML5 Guide for a Novice Programmer?

In summary, the best online HTML5 guide for a novice programmer is the Mozilla Developer Network (MDN). This guide offers comprehensive and up-to-date information on HTML5, along with interactive tutorials and examples. It also has a user-friendly interface and a strong community support system, making it an ideal resource for beginners to learn and master HTML5. Additionally, the MDN guide is constantly updated with new features and best practices, ensuring that novice programmers have access to the most current and relevant information.
stonecoldgen
Hello PF.

I am looking for a recommendation of some HTML5 guide I can get online. I have no knowledge on PHP, HTML, etc. but I do have lots of programming knowledge in Java and some in .NET.

So what guide do you guys recommend? Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
It would be well worth your time and money to buy this small book: http://www.abookapart.com/products/html5-for-web-designers

It is not free (and is not sold on Amazon, only on the site above). It is short but is by far the best book of many I tried reading about HTML5.

http://http://www.webplatform.org/ has some good information on HTML5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, w3schools is not any kind of "official" site, though it sort of appears to be.

1. What is HTML5?

HTML5 (HyperText Markup Language version 5) is the latest version of the HTML language used to create and structure content on the internet. It includes new features and elements that allow for more dynamic and interactive web pages.

2. What are the key features of HTML5?

HTML5 includes new elements such as <header>, <nav>, and <footer> for better page structure, as well as multimedia support for audio and video playback without the need for plugins. It also has features for creating more dynamic and responsive websites, such as the <canvas> element for drawing graphics and the <video> element for streaming video.

3. Why is it recommended to use HTML5?

HTML5 is recommended because it offers improved functionality and support for modern web technologies. It also provides better accessibility and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) capabilities. Additionally, as older versions of HTML are phased out, using HTML5 ensures compatibility with future web standards.

4. How do I start using HTML5?

To start using HTML5, you can simply begin incorporating the new elements and features into your web pages. It is also recommended to use a doctype declaration of <!DOCTYPE html> and to validate your code using a tool like the W3C Markup Validation Service.

5. Are there any downsides to using HTML5?

While HTML5 offers many benefits, there are also some potential downsides to using it. One concern is the lack of support in older browsers, which may require additional code or workarounds for compatibility. Additionally, as HTML5 is still evolving, there may be changes and updates that require developers to continually adapt to new standards.