Human body grounding a charged object

In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of charge from a negatively charged metal object to an initially uncharged person, causing them to become negatively charged. The neutral Na atoms from the salty layer on the person's skin then react with water to form NaOH and H. It is questioned whether the same reaction would occur if the person touched a positively charged object, and it is suggested that this only happens if the charge is high enough. The chemical potentials are also mentioned as a factor in the reaction.
damosuz
In a very good book, Chabay and Sherwood explain that when an initially uncharged person touches a negatively charged metal object, free electrons from the metal neutralize some Na+ ions in the salty layer on the person's skin. The person then becomes negatively charged and the neutral Na atoms react with water to form NaOH and H.

This sounds fine. However, what would happen if the same initially uncharged person were to touch a positively charged objet? Would Cl- ions give up electrons to the object and end up as hydrochloric acid after reacting with water? This doesn't sound right...

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrmm. I think this only happens if the amount of charge is high enough. I believe electrons can be transferred without ionizing atoms/molecules, but I'm not really sure. Maybe someone else that knows more could chime in on this?

That doesn't sound right to me. NaOH exists in solution as Na+ + OH-. So the net effect of this reaction, supposedly, is to split some H2O atoms? That makes no sense.

Of course, if you add/remove some electrons, you do change a whole bunch of chemical potentials, so all kinds of things can happen if you change overall charge sufficiently. That one just sounds iffy.

My chem is rusty, though. I could be way off.

1. What is the concept of grounding a charged object in relation to the human body?

The concept of grounding a charged object in relation to the human body refers to the process of connecting a charged object to the ground or earth through a conductive material, such as a wire. This is done in order to neutralize the charge and prevent any potential harm to the human body.

2. Why is it important to ground a charged object near the human body?

It is important to ground a charged object near the human body because it helps to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) from occurring. ESD can cause damage to electronic devices and can also be harmful to the human body, especially if the charge is high.

3. What are the dangers of not grounding a charged object near the human body?

Not grounding a charged object near the human body can result in potential harm to both the object and the person. If the charge is high enough, it can cause electric shocks, burns, and even cardiac arrest. It can also damage electronic devices and disrupt their functioning.

4. How is a charged object grounded near the human body?

A charged object can be grounded near the human body by using a conductive material, such as a wire, to connect the object to the ground or earth. The wire is typically attached to a grounding rod or other grounding point, such as a metal water pipe, to provide a direct path for the charge to dissipate.

5. Are there any precautions to take when grounding a charged object near the human body?

Yes, there are precautions that should be taken when grounding a charged object near the human body. It is important to ensure that the ground connection is secure and that the wire is not damaged. Additionally, it is important to avoid touching the charged object while it is being grounded and to wear appropriate protective gear if necessary.