Solving Human Eye Problem Homework w/o Quotes

• Thread starter Violagirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye Human
In summary, the smallest black dot that can be seen subtends an angle of 2.3 x 10-6 rad. If a dot is viewed at a distant of 0.25 m, the near point of a normal adult, the smallest diameter it can have and still be seen is 5.75 x 10^-7 m.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

A) Under optimum conditions, the smallest black dot that can be seen subtends an angle of 2.3 x 10-6 rad. If a dot is viewed at a distant of 0.25 m, the near point of a normal adult, what is the smallest diameter it can have and still be seen? B) The maximum resolution is obtained when the image falls on the fovea centralis. At 10° away from this region, the acuity is 10 times poorer. What is the minimum size spot that can be seen at that angle under these conditions?

Homework Equations

Pf = 1/xf + 1/D

Pf = person's far point, 1/xf = distance a person sees an object, D = image distance

Pn = 1/xn + 1/D

Pn person's near point, 1/xn - distance a person sees an object, D = image distance

A = Pn - Pf

A = power of accommodation

sin θ = 1.22 (λ/d)-power of acuity equation

λ = wavelength, d = diameter

The Attempt at a Solution

I've puzzled over this problem. I'm not sure what the relevant equation would be unless I'm missing one. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given a distance to the dot. The dot is essentially a small circle perpendicular to that distance. Its diameter and the distance to the eye form a right triangle. Your are also given an angle in this triangle.

I guess I feel like I'm missing something. I'm not given a wavelength of which this object is being viewed. I otherwise say I could algebraically solve for d that way from the acuity equation. Otherwise I'm not really sure what else to consider...

Have you drawn a diagram as per #2?

Attached is the diagram I drew out for it. Am I thinking about it right? I honestly have no idea how to set it up as we did not cover this topic much in class...

Attachments

• Dot diameter.jpg
    Dot diameter.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 507
See my go at it.

Attachments

• eyedot.png
    eyedot.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 536
Oh! Ok so I took .25 m * sin (2.3 * 10^-7 ) and got d = 5.75 * 10^-7 m. Thank you!

1. How do I approach solving my human eye problem homework without using quotes?

First, it is important to understand the guidelines and instructions given for the assignment. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the objective and what is expected of you. Then, gather all the necessary information and resources to help you solve the problem. This could include textbooks, online articles, and notes from lectures. Finally, use your critical thinking skills to analyze and solve the problem without relying on quotes.

2. Can I use outside sources to help me solve the human eye problem homework?

Yes, you can use outside sources such as textbooks, articles, and notes to help you solve the homework. However, it is important to make sure you fully understand the material and do not simply copy and paste information. Use the information as a guide to help you think critically and solve the problem on your own.

3. How do I effectively use critical thinking to solve the human eye problem homework?

Critical thinking involves analyzing, evaluating, and synthesizing information to solve a problem. To effectively use critical thinking for your human eye problem homework, start by breaking down the problem into smaller parts. Then, gather information and evidence to support your analysis. Use logical reasoning and consider different perspectives to come up with a well-rounded solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving the human eye problem homework?

One of the most common mistakes is relying too heavily on quotes to solve the problem. This can limit your critical thinking skills and may result in a weaker understanding of the material. It is also important to avoid rushing through the problem and not taking the time to fully analyze and understand it. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification if needed.

5. How can I check if my solution to the human eye problem homework is correct?

One way to check if your solution is correct is by comparing it to the given answer or solution. However, it is also important to understand the reasoning behind the answer and make sure it aligns with your critical thinking process. You can also ask a peer or instructor to review your solution and provide feedback. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and logic can help ensure the accuracy of your solution.