Humidity and Lenses: What to Do When Too Much Dust in House

In summary, it is important to properly dry and store optical equipment to prevent damage from moisture and mold growth. It is also not necessary to wipe away dust from the lenses, as it has minimal impact on performance. If cleaning is necessary, it is recommended to use sell cleaning kits with pressurized spray cans instead of wiping the mirrors.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In my area, humidity is where it's at.

One of the problems I noticed when grabing my mirror (first time using it) to pack up was the fact that it soaked up enough water that I can't even see myself in it. This explains why it didn't work.

I DID NOT WIPE THE LENSES. I just put the protectors back on, and that's it.

What should I do? (Too much dust in house to let dry.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm sorry I didn't notice your post before. Put your scope in a dry place with all protective caps off and let it dry out thoroughly. Damp surfaces allow molds to grow, and they can etch coatings on lenses and silvering on mirrors. Don't worry about a little dust on your objective - it has a far less damaging effect on optical performance than you might think. Good luck.

YEa...don't try to clean your mirrors by wiping them...i learned the hard way :(...if u must clean the dust off the sell cleaning kits with presurized spray cans...alittle dust doesn't affect performance anyways like turbo-1 said.

1. What is humidity and how does it affect my lenses?

Humidity refers to the amount of water vapor present in the air. When the humidity is high, the air contains more moisture which can cause condensation to form on your lenses. This can lead to foggy or blurry vision, making it difficult to use your lenses.

2. How does dust in my house contribute to lens problems?

Dust particles can easily accumulate on your lenses, especially when the humidity is high. This can cause scratches and damage to your lenses, making them less effective and potentially reducing their lifespan.

3. What steps can I take to prevent dust and humidity from affecting my lenses?

To prevent dust and humidity from causing problems for your lenses, it's important to regularly clean them with a soft, lint-free cloth. You can also use a protective case or cover when you're not wearing your lenses to prevent dust from settling on them.

4. Can using a dehumidifier help with lens maintenance?

Yes, using a dehumidifier can help regulate the moisture levels in your home, reducing the amount of humidity in the air. This can help prevent condensation from forming on your lenses and reduce the risk of dust accumulation.

5. How often should I clean my lenses if I live in a high humidity and dusty environment?

If you live in a high humidity and dusty environment, it's recommended to clean your lenses at least once a day with a soft cloth. You may also want to invest in a lens cleaning solution to ensure your lenses are thoroughly cleaned and protected from dust and moisture.