Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Humidity and lenses

1. Sep 2, 2004 #1

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my area, humidity is where it's at.

One of the problems I noticed when grabing my mirror (first time using it) to pack up was the fact that it soaked up enough water that I can't even see myself in it. This explains why it didn't work.

I DID NOT WIPE THE LENSES. I just put the protectors back on, and that's it.

What should I do? (Too much dust in house to let dry.)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2004 #2

Gold Member

I'm sorry I didn't notice your post before. Put your scope in a dry place with all protective caps off and let it dry out thoroughly. Damp surfaces allow molds to grow, and they can etch coatings on lenses and silvering on mirrors. Don't worry about a little dust on your objective - it has a far less damaging effect on optical performance than you might think. Good luck.
  4. Sep 19, 2004 #3
    YEa...don't try to clean your mirrors by wiping them....i learned the hard way :(.......if u must clean the dust off the sell cleaning kits with presurized spray cans......alittle dust doesn't affect performance anyways like turbo-1 said.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?