HVAC dehumidifier energy wastage

In summary, the idea is that using heat transfer instead of dehumidifying with a machine can be more energy conservative, but it's not clear why this is the case.
treB321
Hi. Anybody every wondered why we pay to run dehumidifiers in cold climates, when so much moisture could be condensed through the use of outside air temperature/transfer ..ie look at the condensation on your windows ! ...(summer months ...open a window or just circulate outside air). Of course we're not talking tropical climates, more so temperate climate regions toward the poles.
Why do we waste the energy to run dehumidifiers when we could be using simple heat transfer as a less effective but more energy conservative way to dehumidify?

Physics news on Phys.org
treB321 said:
more so temperate climate regions toward the poles
What is a temperate region near the Earth's poles? They seem pretty cold when I do searches for vacation spots. :wink:

treB321 said:
..ie look at the condensation on your windows ! ...(summer months ...open a window or just circulate outside air).
And where the heck do you live where you get condensation on your windows in the summer?

And more to the point, can you please post links to the technical reading that you've been doing about this question? Without some math behind your question, it's pretty hard for us to respond, IMO. Thanks.

treB321 said:
Why do we waste the energy to run dehumidifiers when we could be using simple heat transfer as a less effective but more energy conservative way to dehumidify?
Usually it is because the goal is precisely to prevent the sort of condensation you are describing from occurring on or in electronics and appliances. We dehumidify to prevent dew from forming and shorting or damaging the electronics in the building.

Sorry I haven't asked that question as well as I should have. Yes I know WHY we dehumidify, but the 'way' we do it seems to be wasteful, or could it be achieved through an alternative more energy efficient method ? e.g. The condensation on a window dehumidifying a room, if the moisture is constantly collected ! True ?

berkeman said:
What is a temperate region near the Earth's poles? They seem pretty cold when I do searches for vacation spots. :wink:And where the heck do you live where you get condensation on your windows in the summer?

And more to the point, can you please post links to the technical reading that you've been doing about this question? Without some math behind your question, it's pretty hard for us to respond, IMO. Thanks.
Temperate as in anywhere between the tropics and the polar regions. Temperate latitudes then.
As I said in my first post the idea is not for summer " open a window" yes, I'm talking about the winter months when moisture build up can be a problem.

treB321 said:
Temperate as in anywhere between the tropics and the polar regions. Temperate latitudes then.
As I said in my first post the idea is not for summer " open a window" yes, I'm talking about the winter months when moisture build up can be a problem.
I don't have the math, that's why I'm asking.

treB321 said:
I don't have the math, that's why I'm asking.
You tell me why natural heat transfer could not be improved upon to enable a level of dehumidification thereby reducing the need for excessive energy use.

Gay-Lussac's Law ,Bernoulli’s theorem,

foehn effect

Use those and explain why we can not dehumidify with less energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
treB321 said:
Maybe you should explain who "we" is - houses, office buildings, ...
Usually in the winter the outside cooler air is dryer, and humidification of makeup air for the interior space is required in a of situations.

Likes Motore

1. What is a HVAC dehumidifier?

A HVAC dehumidifier is a device that is used to remove excess moisture from the air in a building. It is typically connected to the building's heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system.

2. How does a HVAC dehumidifier work?

A HVAC dehumidifier works by drawing in air from the building and passing it over a series of cooling coils. As the air cools, the moisture in the air condenses and collects on the coils. The now drier air is then reheated and returned to the building.

3. Why is energy wastage a concern with HVAC dehumidifiers?

HVAC dehumidifiers require a significant amount of energy to operate, as they must cool and then reheat the air in order to remove moisture. This can lead to high energy consumption and increased utility costs.

4. What are some common causes of energy wastage in HVAC dehumidifiers?

Some common causes of energy wastage in HVAC dehumidifiers include improper sizing, lack of maintenance, and inefficient operation. If the dehumidifier is too large for the space, it will cycle on and off more frequently, using more energy. Lack of maintenance can also lead to decreased efficiency and increased energy consumption.

5. How can energy wastage in HVAC dehumidifiers be reduced?

To reduce energy wastage in HVAC dehumidifiers, it is important to properly size the unit for the space, regularly maintain and clean the unit, and ensure that it is operating efficiently. Additionally, using a programmable thermostat and setting the dehumidifier to turn off when the desired humidity level is reached can help save energy.