HVAC dehumidify energy wastage

• I
  • Thread starter treB321
  • Start date
Hi. Anybody every wondered why we pay to run dehumidifiers in cold climates, when so much moisture could be condensed through the use of outside air temperature/transfer ..ie look at the condensation on your windows ! ...(summer months ...open a window or just circulate outside air). Of course we're not talking tropical climates, more so temperate climate regions toward the poles.
Why do we waste the energy to run dehumidifiers when we could be using simple heat transfer as a less effective but more energy conservative way to dehumidify?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
more so temperate climate regions toward the poles
What is a temperate region near the Earth's poles? They seem pretty cold when I do searches for vacation spots. :wink:

..ie look at the condensation on your windows ! ...(summer months ...open a window or just circulate outside air).
And where the heck do you live where you get condensation on your windows in the summer?

And more to the point, can you please post links to the technical reading that you've been doing about this question? Without some math behind your question, it's pretty hard for us to respond, IMO. Thanks.

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Why do we waste the energy to run dehumidifiers when we could be using simple heat transfer as a less effective but more energy conservative way to dehumidify?
Usually it is because the goal is precisely to prevent the sort of condensation you are describing from occurring on or in electronics and appliances. We dehumidify to prevent dew from forming and shorting or damaging the electronics in the building.

Sorry I haven't asked that question as well as I should have. Yes I know WHY we dehumidify, but the 'way' we do it seems to be wasteful, or could it be achieved through an alternative more energy efficient method ? e.g. The condensation on a window dehumidifying a room, if the moisture is constantly collected ! True ?

What is a temperate region near the Earth's poles? They seem pretty cold when I do searches for vacation spots. :wink:

And where the heck do you live where you get condensation on your windows in the summer?

And more to the point, can you please post links to the technical reading that you've been doing about this question? Without some math behind your question, it's pretty hard for us to respond, IMO. Thanks.
Temperate as in anywhere between the tropics and the polar regions. Temperate latitudes then.
As I said in my first post the idea is not for summer " open a window" yes, i'm talking about the winter months when moisture build up can be a problem.

Temperate as in anywhere between the tropics and the polar regions. Temperate latitudes then.
As I said in my first post the idea is not for summer " open a window" yes, i'm talking about the winter months when moisture build up can be a problem.
I don't have the math, thats why i'm asking.

I don't have the math, thats why i'm asking.
You tell me why natural heat transfer could not be improved upon to enable a level of dehumidification thereby reducing the need for excessive energy use.

Gay-Lussac's Law ,Bernoulli’s theorem,

foehn effect

Use those and explain why we can not dehumidify with less energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
256bits
Gold Member
Maybe you should explain who "we" is - houses, office buildings, ....
Usually in the winter the outside cooler air is dryer, and humidification of makeup air for the interior space is required in a of situations.