Hydraulic piston break system problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding a hydraulic brake system and determining the frictional torque about the axle when a force is exerted on the brake pedal. Despite conflicting equations, the expert agrees with the initial solution of using the equation F1 / A1 = F2 / A2, resulting in a frictional torque of 26.6 N*m.
Thundagere

Homework Statement

The figure below shows the essential parts of a hydraulic brake system. The area of the piston in the master cylinder is 1.8 cm2, and that of the piston in the brake cylinder is 6.4 cm2. The coefficient of friction between shoe and wheel drum is 0.50. If the wheel has a radius of 34 cm, determine the frictional torque about the axle when a force of 44 N is exerted on the brake pedal.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2138/screenshot20121203at907.png

Homework Equations

This I'm honestly not sure about. I initially thought that because pressure is distributed evenly throughout all parts of the fluid, it should be

F1 / A1 = F2 / A2
But as my solution shows, apparently this is not the case

The Attempt at a Solution

I did
44 / 1.8 = F2 / 6.4
F2 = 156.4 N
Tfrictional = 156.4(0.5)(0.34) = 26.6 N *m

However, all of the answer keys state to do
44(1.8/6.4),
which results in the answer 2.1 N*m
Any help here? I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. THanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your result. (It would be crazy to have to push harder on the pedal than the resulting force on the brake shoe.)

Hmm... the problem statement vs the picture.

Last edited:

1. What is a hydraulic piston break system?

A hydraulic piston break system is a type of braking system commonly used in vehicles. It uses hydraulic pressure to transfer force from the brake pedal to the brake pads, thereby slowing down or stopping the vehicle.

2. What are the common problems with a hydraulic piston break system?

Some common problems with a hydraulic piston break system include leaks in the brake lines, worn out brake pads, and air in the brake lines which can lead to a loss of braking power.

3. How can I tell if my hydraulic piston break system is failing?

Signs of a failing hydraulic piston break system include a soft or spongy brake pedal, grinding or squeaking noises when applying the brakes, and longer stopping distances. It is important to have your brakes checked by a professional if you notice any of these symptoms.

4. How can I maintain my hydraulic piston break system?

Regular maintenance is key to keeping your hydraulic piston break system in good working condition. This includes replacing brake pads and brake fluid as recommended by the manufacturer, and having your brakes checked by a professional at least once a year.

5. Can I fix a hydraulic piston break system problem myself?

While some minor issues with a hydraulic piston break system can be fixed by the owner, it is recommended to have a trained professional handle any major repairs. This ensures that the brakes are properly installed and functioning correctly, ensuring your safety on the road.