Hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift

• Thread starter Michael0456
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary: Welcome to the PF. :smile:In summary, this individual has been working on a way to create an actuator that emulates muscles, and has been getting sidetracked by other ideas. They hope that their article will be interesting to readers.
Michael0456
TL;DR Summary
Hi all.

To begin, we all know that in a typical cylinder for example, the pressurized area inside the barrel far exceeds the axial. Actually, once the stroke of a cylinder exceeds 1/4 the diameter, the radial (wasted) forces equal the linear ('used') forces generated.
Subsequently, I had the idea to keep cylinder ends stationary, and to find some ways to expand the cylinder wall so to speak.

I have done some preliminary work in this area, and in looking at what happens to the volume of fluid itself reveals quite a few incredible things, and opens up a very large rabbit hole in actuator design, pump design, even to propulsion & combustion chambers & the like.

Anyway, I began an article for a cylinder that emulates a muscle (as I see them functioning anyway), but this change in paradigm sent me on too many tangents.

Subsequently, please bear in mind the article is unfinished (is Pt 1), and is an incomplete rough draft. It's also just in wordpad, a simple program on a simple computer. please forgive any errors in presentation.

I hope you find the concepts as interesting as I did. This article is free issue.

be well all, happy designing :)

lol, it ends up a simple 'wordpad' file isn't supported. If you would like a copy of a preliminary article, please message me or tell me how to get around this haha

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

For right now, your thread is in the Moderation Que awaiting approval. We need to see the file before we can decide if this is a valid thread start or not (we don't allow personal theory development here, but if it's just a question about the efficiency of a different sort of mechanism, we may be able to allow it).

Please use a free PDF writer (like PrimoPDF) to print your WordPad file as a PDF and attach it to a reply here. I'll have a look to see what we can do.

Thanks.

Just one preliminary comment: "Wasted forces" isn't a thing. A force against an object that doesn't move just does nothing in a hydraulic system. It doesn't matter.

1. What is the hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift?

The hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift refers to the transition from using traditional hydraulic and pneumatic systems to more advanced and efficient technologies in the field of fluid power. This shift involves the integration of electronic control and computer systems to improve the overall performance and functionality of hydraulic and pneumatic systems.

2. What are the advantages of the hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift?

The hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift offers several advantages, including increased efficiency, improved precision and control, reduced maintenance and downtime, and enhanced safety. The integration of electronic control and computer systems allows for more precise and accurate control of fluid power systems, resulting in improved performance and energy efficiency.

3. How does the hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift impact industries?

The hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift has a significant impact on industries that rely on fluid power systems, such as manufacturing, construction, and transportation. The use of advanced technologies and electronic control systems has led to increased productivity, cost savings, and improved safety in these industries.

4. What challenges are associated with the hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift?

One of the main challenges of the hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift is the initial cost of implementing new technologies and upgrading existing systems. There may also be a learning curve for operators and technicians to adapt to the new systems and processes. Additionally, there may be compatibility issues between different manufacturers' systems, which can cause integration challenges.

5. What is the future of the hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift?

The hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift is expected to continue as technology advances and new innovations are introduced. The integration of artificial intelligence and machine learning is already being explored to further improve the efficiency and performance of fluid power systems. Additionally, there is a growing focus on developing more sustainable and environmentally friendly fluid power technologies, which will likely shape the future of the hydraulic/pneumatic paradigm shift.