Hydraulics equilibrium and the straw in my drink

In summary, the pressure at the surface of the water in a glass is equal to the pressure at the surface of the water inside a straw, even if the areas are different. This is because pressure, not force, is what moves a fluid. Therefore, the water columns are in equilibrium and there will be no motion or "fountain effect" at rest. This can be mathematically shown through the equation p=f/a, where p is pressure, f is force, and a is area.
RemingtonSteele
Sorry for the noobie question, but I've got myself in a mental bind trying to figure out static hydraulics and why things happen the way they do.

Could somebody give me an equation that shows me why the fluid level on the outside of the straw in my drink is equal to the fluid level on the inside of my drink.

For ease of math and my understanding, let's assume:
1. The air pressure is 16 psi
2. The area of water exposed to air on the inside of the straw is 1 sq in (it's a big straw :rolleyes: )
3. The area of water exposed to air on the outside of the straw is 10 sq in (it's a huge glass :rolleyes: )

For some strange reason, I keep thinking that with 160 total pounds pushing on the water in the glass, any straw would produce a nice fountain affect at rest. How do I mathmatically show that the backpressure in the straw is 16 psi and is in equilibrium with the pressure of the water outside the straw?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure is defined as force per unit area, so the relative areas of straw and glass are irrelevant. The air pressures on the surface of the water in the glass and in the straw are equal, therefore the water columns are in equilibrium.

Marcusl,

Thank you for the reply, but can you prove this to be true given equations used to determine force in static hydraulics?

You already did all the math in your first post! The equation you used is what marcus described in words: p=f/a (or f=p*a).

The problem you are having comes from the conceptual misunderstanding in your final paragraph. The first sentence talks about fforce and the second sentence talks about pressure. Pressure and force are not the same thing. It is pressure, not force, that moves a fluid. So equal pressure means no motion.

Think about it this way: the pressure at the surface of the water (with no straw) is 14.7 psi (the actual air pressure) and the total force is 147 lb. That means that if you cut up the surface into 1 cu in squares, the pressure is still 14.7 psi and the force on each square is 14.7 lb. This you know because you used it in your calculation. So what changes when you put a straw into the water? Nothing.

1. How does hydraulics equilibrium work?

Hydraulics equilibrium is the state in which the pressure exerted on a confined liquid is equal at all points. This is achieved by the transfer of pressure through the liquid, allowing for the movement of the liquid without any change in pressure.

2. What is the role of the straw in my drink in hydraulics equilibrium?

The straw in your drink allows you to create a vacuum by sucking the air out, which lowers the air pressure inside the straw. This creates a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the straw, causing the liquid to rise up the straw and maintain hydraulics equilibrium.

3. Why does the liquid remain at the same level in the straw even when I stop sucking?

The liquid remains at the same level in the straw because of the principle of hydraulics equilibrium. The pressure exerted on the liquid at the bottom of the straw by the atmosphere is equal to the pressure exerted by the liquid at the top of the straw, keeping the liquid in a balanced state.

4. Can hydraulics equilibrium be applied to larger systems?

Yes, hydraulics equilibrium can be applied to larger systems such as hydraulic machines and systems used in engineering. These systems use the same principles of pressure and fluid movement to achieve equilibrium and perform tasks such as lifting heavy objects.

5. What factors can affect hydraulics equilibrium in a straw?

The main factor that can affect hydraulics equilibrium in a straw is the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the straw. This can be affected by the size of the straw, the type of liquid, and any external forces such as temperature changes or air pressure. Other factors such as the shape of the straw or any blockages can also impact the equilibrium.