Water held in straw by vacuum. Is this possible on grand scale?

In summary: You're right, the bottom of the pipe needs to be in water to work. And you're also right that you can't do it with a 2-inch pipe unless the liquid is molasses or something... because the atmospheric pressure on the top of the pipe will keep the water from falling.
martiwood
We all know the trick of holding water in a drinking straw by holding your thumb over the top creating a vacuum I know its also to do with air pressure below. I managed this on a bigger scale using a 2inch pipe, a water pump and a valve i could close at the top of the pipe to replicate the thumb. Now I am wondering if this could be achieved on a grand scale ? I would love to create a water feature in my home a 6 or 10 foot wide pipe cut short in the ceiling filled with water that people could walk under, touch or even take a glass of water from! Is this possiblle before i turn my house into one giant puddle ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a glass of water put your hand on it ,turn it and release your hand. I think think this answers your ceiling pool question.

and i seriously question if you had a vertical 5 cm pipe holding water with the no bottom on the pipe.

it works for a straw that is thin enough because of the surface tension of the fluid. but a 5 cm pipe will have water trickling down one side with air replacing it on the other side. then that air will bubble up to the top and your vacuum is degraded.

so frankly, i don't believe it.

If inside the "straw" or whatever you had a vacuum above the water then I guess you could say the weight of the water will pull it down and the force from atmospheric pressure will try to keep it up.

mass of the water would be volume*density: ∏r2*H*1000

so the weight will be ∏r2*H*1000*9.8

Pressure*area = force

force= 101325*∏r2

so we have 101325*∏r2 = ∏r2*H*1000*9.8

101325 = 9800H

H ≈10.3m (calculations were done using SI units)

So I guess you can hold up to 10.3m of water before it falls, independent of how wide the pipe is.

Who knows though, maybe I'm missing something important when I thought of this.

bp_psy said:
Take a glass of water put your hand on it ,turn it and release your hand. I think think this answers your ceiling pool question.

A cup won't have both sides open so I'm not sure what you mean?

bp_psy said:

aftershock said:
A cup won't have both sides open so I'm not sure what you mean?

And I'm not sure what you mean! A straw doesn't have "both sides open" either- if you have the sides open, the water will not stay- and that's the whole point here.

martiwood,

That sounds like the perfect opportunity for a scientific experiment. A straw is a just a tube. You could try getting a series of tubes with different diameters, then seeing at what diameter you could no longer hold the water with air pressure.

Of course you might want to think about what other variables might have an effect... maybe the tube length too? Or you could try the experiment with different fluids, maybe honey or vegetable oil something :D

(I am not suggesting you make a mess of the house ;) )

One might also ask "what would the surface tension of a fluid have to be to pull this trick off in a 10 foot diameter" and then see if any such fluids exist.

This 10 foot water feature would work in zero to very low G.

aftershock said:
If inside the "straw" or whatever you had a vacuum above the water then I guess you could say the weight of the water will pull it down and the force from atmospheric pressure will try to keep it up.

mass of the water would be volume*density: ∏r2*H*1000

so the weight will be ∏r2*H*1000*9.8

Pressure*area = force

force= 101325*∏r2

so we have 101325*∏r2 = ∏r2*H*1000*9.8

101325 = 9800H

H ≈10.3m (calculations were done using SI units)

So I guess you can hold up to 10.3m of water before it falls, independent of how wide the pipe is.

Who knows though, maybe I'm missing something important when I thought of this.

is the bottom of the pipe stuck into a pail of water, like a water barometer? that will work, independent of the diameter of the pipe.

but i can poke a 1/4-inch diameter straw into water (or soda or juice), put my thumb over the top, pull the straw out (holding it vertically, the same as it was poked into the liquid) and the water does not fall to the table until i lift my thumb offa the top of the straw. (this is different from how a tube of fluid is made into a barometer because the bottom is still inside the pool of fluid.)

and what i am saying is that you can't do that with a 2-inch diameter pipe unless the liquid is molasses or something like that.

1. Can water really be held in a straw by vacuum?

Yes, it is possible for water to be held in a straw by vacuum. This is due to the principle of atmospheric pressure, where the pressure inside the straw is lower than the pressure outside, causing the water to be held in place by the vacuum.

2. How does the vacuum hold the water in the straw?

The vacuum inside the straw creates a lower pressure compared to the surrounding atmosphere, which pushes the water up the straw and keeps it suspended in place.

3. Is this possible on a large scale?

Yes, this phenomenon can be scaled up to hold large amounts of water in a straw, as long as the vacuum is maintained and the pressure differential is significant enough to hold the water in place.

4. What factors affect the amount of water that can be held in a straw by vacuum?

The size and length of the straw, as well as the strength of the vacuum, will affect the amount of water that can be held. A larger straw with a stronger vacuum will be able to hold more water compared to a smaller straw with a weaker vacuum.

5. Are there any practical applications for this phenomenon?

Yes, this principle is used in various devices such as suction pumps and syringes, where the vacuum is used to hold and move fluids. It can also be used in experiments and educational demonstrations to showcase the effects of atmospheric pressure.