Hydrostatic Test and Air Entrapement

In summary: I'm just a college student who is trying to learn more about the technicalities behind the construction and operation of pipelines.
Filippo54US
Could anybody explain why in the hydrostatic test of a pressure vessel the allowed percentage of air in volume in the vessel is not allowed to be more than 0.5%-1%?

What would happen if the pressure vessel contains 90% water and 10% air?

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Air compresses a lot more than water. IF there were a catastrophic failure of the cylinder under test with gas there would be a big shrapnel causing explosion. Using water mitigates that problem to a large extent. Also since air and water compress differently a cylinder with a 90/10% water to air ratio in it would throw off the accuracy of the test.

Francis M said:
Also since air and water compress differently a cylinder with a 90/10% water to air ratio in it would throw off the accuracy of the test.

Pressure is pressure.

Air in the liquid would only require that the hydrostatic pressure test have a longer settling time before an accurate reading could be obtained.

Additionaly, the air can leak past the seals easier and possibly fail the test.

CS

Francis M said:
Air compresses a lot more than water. IF there were a catastrophic failure of the cylinder under test with gas there would be a big shrapnel causing explosion. Using water mitigates that problem to a large extent. Also since air and water compress differently a cylinder with a 90/10% water to air ratio in it would throw off the accuracy of the test.

stewartcs said:
Pressure is pressure.

Air in the liquid would only require that the hydrostatic pressure test have a longer settling time before an accurate reading could be obtained.

The main difference between pressurized gas and pressurized liquid in a tank is the stored energy. Pressurized gas holds a lot more potential energy than a pressurized liquid, and a failure in a gas pressure vessel will be far more chatastrophic than that of a liquid vessel.

There are multiple reasons, but it is difficult to say what was at the forefront of the authors when the spec was authored. It could be possible that it pertains to a very particular application and thus the test must be done in that fashion. Does it say in the spec anywhere? Usually, if there is a safety concern, there will be applicable notes stating safety concerns. What spec are you using? Chances are that the safety factor is what is driving it, but understand that there are other possibilities that only someone very familiar with the spec may be aware of.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that there isn't a danger involved with air in the liquid in regards to the potential energy. I was pointing out that the compressibility of air wouldn't throw the test off since x psi of air is equal to x psi of liquid in a hydrostatic test.

CS

Thanks to all.

The many specifications for hydrostatic tests of pipelines that I have read limit the air content to 0.5-1.0%. My understanding is that the issue is test accuracy, not safety, even I understand the safety concerns mentioned by some of the people that replied to my poste.

I was thinking that the air content limit was related to the need for a much longer stabilization period (as it has been suggested) or the air would make the pressure more susceptible to temperature variations or the air dissolving in the water could cause changes in the volume of the water (!?), but I really don't know.

1. What is a hydrostatic test?

A hydrostatic test is a method used to test the strength and integrity of a vessel or pipeline by filling it with water and pressurizing it to a predetermined level. This test is commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, plumbing, and construction to ensure the safety and reliability of their structures.

2. How does a hydrostatic test work?

In a hydrostatic test, the vessel or pipeline is filled with water and any air is removed to ensure accurate results. The water is then pressurized using a pump until it reaches the specified test pressure. The pressure is then held for a designated amount of time, usually 30 minutes, and any leaks or failures are recorded. After the test, the water is drained and the vessel is dried and inspected for any damage.

3. Why is air entrainment a concern in a hydrostatic test?

Air entrainment refers to the presence of air bubbles in the water during a hydrostatic test. These bubbles can affect the accuracy and reliability of the test by reducing the amount of pressure the water can hold. This can lead to false readings and potentially mask any existing leaks or weaknesses in the structure being tested.

4. How is air entrainment prevented in a hydrostatic test?

To prevent air entrainment, the vessel or pipeline is filled with water slowly and carefully to allow any trapped air to escape. The water is also degassed prior to the test to remove any dissolved air. Additionally, a vent valve is often installed at the highest point of the structure to allow any remaining air to be released during the test.

5. What are the potential consequences of not conducting a hydrostatic test?

If a hydrostatic test is not conducted or is not performed correctly, it can result in serious consequences such as structural failure, leaks, and accidents. These can lead to costly repairs, delays in project completion, and even endanger the safety of workers and the public. It is important to follow proper procedures and regulations when conducting a hydrostatic test to ensure the safety and integrity of structures.