1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic functions/integration

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that: (I don't have any way of showing it properly so have written it in words)

'The integral from 5 to 3 of (sq root (x^2 - 9) ) with respect to x' = 10 - (9/2) * ln 3

I hope that makes sense!

2. Relevant equations
    Well I'm not sure.. I *think* that the fact the integral of 1/(sq root (x^2 - a^2)) is arcosh (x/a) is relevant.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is part of the 'hyperbolic functions' section on my exam; so the first thing I know is that they will come into it somehow. I cannot solve this by inspection, or by simply comparing it to all the formulae on my sheet.. I also tried to solve by parts (using difference of two squares to give me a root multiplied by another root) but found that this still gave me something I do not know how to integrate. I know if it was 1/(sq root (x^2 - 9)) it would be easy; but cannot work out how the integral of a particular thing and the integral of 1/it are related.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is true that [itex]cosh^2(\theta)- sinh^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] so, dividing both sides by [itex]cosh^(\theta)[/itex], [itex]1- tanh^2(\theta)= csch^2(\theta)[/itex] . That is, if you let [itex]x= 3coth(\theta), [itex]9- x^2= 9- 9coth^2(\theta)= 9csch^2(\theta)[/itex] so [itex]\sqrt{9- x^2}= \sqrt{9csch^2(\theta)}= 3csch(\theta)[/itex]. Of course, [itex]3(coth(\theta))'= 3(1- coth(\theta))[/itex] so [itex]dx= 3(1- coth(\theta))d\theta[/itex].
    The integral becomes
    [tex]9\int coth(\theta)(1- coth(\theta)d\theta[/tex]

4. Dec 11, 2007 #3

malty

Gold Member

Don't think arccos is relevant. . .

Hmm I don't think a hyperbolic substition is necessary here . ..need to check my calculations ... .:eek:

//Argh forgot to square the minus// Nevermind::redface:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  5. Dec 11, 2007 #4
    Right. eek.. I really didn't follow that! sorry. right..

what does [itex] mean?? and how did you get from sq root(x^2 - 9) to sq root (9 - x^2)? without getting into complex numbers..

6. Dec 11, 2007 #5

malty

Gold Member

I dunno how he did that, because that's what's worrying me each time I do this integral I get a complex function ... *not having a good day:(*

[ ite k or latek" is just a thing for typing lovely equations, e.g [tex]\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

7. Dec 11, 2007 #6
    Well I tried using the substitution x = 3coth theta... though I'll call theta y to make it easier to type.
    I then get x^2 - 9 = 9coth^2 y - 9
    root (x^2 - 9) = 3(cosech y)

therefore the original question is:
    the integral from x=5 to x=3 of 1/(3 (cosech y)) dx.

dx/dy = -3(cosech y) ... I think, not so sure on my maths there. now I get stuck again as this seems to cancel to give no variable to integrate..

8. Dec 11, 2007 #7

malty

Gold Member

...oopps... never mind that

[tex] \frac{dx}{d\theta}=3 cosch^2 ({\theta}) [/tex] .. .

Starting over grrr

Yay i've finally got it!! ... I think

9. Dec 11, 2007 #8
    I found a solution online (the cheats way out I know!).. but I'll do it properly when I get time. Its easier to use a different substitution (x = 3 cosh y, if I remember rightly).
    Thanks anyway.

10. Jan 19, 2012 #9
    sorry HallsofIvy : 1- tanh^2 (theta)= sech^2(theta) !!
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?