Hyperbolic Trigonometry: Exploring Further with Books/Math

In summary: When he said "the area", I thought he meant hyperbolic geometry. I thought it piqued his interest that there might be a hyperbolic geometry and he wanted to know more about that. Because when I first saw sinh and cosh, what sprang to mind is, wow, there must be hyperbolic triangles, I want to know more. I did warn him off it as well, pointing out that I didn't think it was worth looking into.
ciubba
My calc. 2 book more or less only mentioned the hyperbolic functions to make integration easier, so, now that I have some free time, I'd like to explore the area further. Could someone recommend a good book on the subject or do I need to take more math first?

A quick google search revealed "Hyperbolic Functions: With Configuration Theorems and Equivalent and Equidecomposable Figures," which sounds about what I'm looking for, but I can't find a preview of the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
verty said:
This one would work: Van Brummelen - Introduction to Non-Euclidean Geometry. But I don't like this subject myself and wouldn't bother (I find it uninteresting, is all).

Why not learn spherical trig instead? Van Brummelen - Heavenly Matter, The Forgotten Art of Spherical Trigonometry.

Is that really what the OP wants? It was my impression he was only interested in learning a bit more about the cosh and sinh functions. I don't think it was his purpose to really do trigonometry on the hyperbolic plane. Nevertheless, if it was his purpose to learn this anyway, then I recommend Brannan: http://www.cambridge.org/be/academic/subjects/mathematics/geometry-and-topology/geometry-2nd-edition The chapter on hyperbolic geometry is mostly self-contained.

The book "Visual complex analysis" by Needhamhttp://[URL='https://www.amazon.com...omplex-Analysis-Tristan-Needham/dp/0198534469[/URL] gives the deep connections between the usual trig functions and the hyperbolic trig functions by using complex numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
Is that really what the OP wants? It was my impression he was only interested in learning a bit more about the cosh and sinh functions. I don't think it was his purpose to really do trigonometry on the hyperbolic plane. Nevertheless, if it was his purpose to learn this anyway, then I recommend Brannan: http://www.cambridge.org/be/academic/subjects/mathematics/geometry-and-topology/geometry-2nd-edition The chapter on hyperbolic geometry is mostly self-contained.

When he said "the area", I thought he meant hyperbolic geometry. I thought it piqued his interest that there might be a hyperbolic geometry and he wanted to know more about that. Because when I first saw sinh and cosh, what sprang to mind is, wow, there must be hyperbolic triangles, I want to know more. I did warn him off it as well, pointing out that I didn't think it was worth looking into.

The book "Visual complex analysis" by Needhamhttp://[URL='https://www.amazon.com...omplex-Analysis-Tristan-Needham/dp/0198534469[/URL] gives the deep connections between the usual trig functions and the hyperbolic trig functions by using complex numbers.

Hmm, I thought the connection was the formula cosh^2 - sinh^2 = 1 which is superficially very similar to cos^2 + sin^2 = 1 (this is honestly hand on my heart what I concluded when I first researched them some years ago), and that they are therefore useful for integration for the same reasons that the trig functions are useful. And perhaps this connection is enough for him in this direction as well, if he doesn't want to learn a whole lot of extra stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is hyperbolic trigonometry?

Hyperbolic trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and functions of hyperbolic functions, which are analogues of the traditional trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.). These functions are defined in terms of the hyperbola, rather than the circle, and are useful in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and statistics.

How is hyperbolic trigonometry different from traditional trigonometry?

Hyperbolic trigonometry is different from traditional trigonometry in several ways. First, the functions are defined in terms of the hyperbola, rather than the circle. This leads to different definitions and properties of the functions. Additionally, the hyperbolic functions have different shapes and behaviors compared to the traditional trigonometric functions. For example, the hyperbolic cosine function has a maximum value of 1, while the traditional cosine function has a maximum value of 1. Another difference is that while traditional trigonometry deals with angles, hyperbolic trigonometry deals with hyperbolic angles.

How is hyperbolic trigonometry used in real life?

Hyperbolic trigonometry has many applications in real life, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. In physics, hyperbolic functions are used to describe various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the shape of a soap film. In engineering, hyperbolic functions are used to model the behavior of circuits and other systems. In statistics, hyperbolic functions are used to analyze data and make predictions. Additionally, hyperbolic trigonometry has practical applications in fields such as navigation, astronomy, and architecture.

What are some common hyperbolic identities and formulas?

Some common hyperbolic identities and formulas include: the hyperbolic Pythagorean identity (cosh^2x - sinh^2x = 1), the double angle formulas (sinh2x = 2sinhx*coshx, cosh2x = cosh^2x + sinh^2x), and the inverse hyperbolic identities (sinh^-1x = ln(x+√(x^2+1)), cosh^-1x = ln(x+√(x^2-1))). These identities and formulas are used to simplify and solve equations involving hyperbolic functions.

Are there any practical tips for understanding and using hyperbolic trigonometry?

Some practical tips for understanding and using hyperbolic trigonometry include: becoming familiar with the basic definitions and properties of hyperbolic functions, practicing with various identities and formulas, and relating hyperbolic functions to their traditional trigonometric counterparts. It can also be helpful to visualize hyperbolic functions and their graphs to gain a better understanding of their behavior. Additionally, using real-life applications and examples can help to solidify understanding and make the concepts more relevant.