I am having troubles with the gravitational time dialtion equation.

In summary, the equation Δt' = Δt * √( 1 - 2GM/RC^2) is being used to calculate the effects of the sun's gravitational force on close objects. However, the equation gives a non-real answer when the distance from the sun is less than the Schwarzschild radius. This is because the radius cannot be less than the Schwarzschild radius and the object cannot be closer to the sun than the radius. This equation also cannot be applied to black holes, as objects cannot hover inside the event horizon. The black hole should not be treated as a point when close to the Schwarzschild radius.
zeromodz
Okay, I am just fooling around with the equation

Δt' = Δt * √( 1 - 2GM/RC^2)

To find out the suns gravitational effects on close ojbects
I keep getting a nonreal answer. I can derive the equation to this.

Δt' = Δt * √( 1 - (Schwarzschilds Radius)/R)

The suns Schwarzschilds radius of the sun is is 2954.14m
So if I want to see how much time will change in 30 seconds from 20 meters away I do
30*√(1-2954.14/20)

Then i get a non real answer. What am I doing wrong. Does this equation just have a limit from certain distances or does it just break the laws of physics if an objects time slows down from 20 meters away. If I am not doing anything wrong, could someone give me an equation that works for this stuff.

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Radius is calculated from the center of the sun. So you cannot have radii that are less than what the radius of the sun is, which is something like 700 000 km.

R is your distance from the centre of the sun

So does that mean this equation fails when dealing with black holes? What if the sun were to become really dense and the radius shrinks to a more plausible number like 100 meters. Would this equation still fail?

The radius won't drop below the Schwarzschild radius nor will another object be able to reach a distance from the Radius less than the S-radius.

The time dilation formula you used is for objects hovering outside the event horizon of a black hole. You cannot hover inside the event horizon of a black hole.

I suspect the black hole should not be treated as a point when close to the S-Radius. Is this correct?

What is the gravitational time dilation equation?

The gravitational time dilation equation, also known as the Schwarzschild metric, is an equation derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity that describes the effect of gravity on time. It states that time moves slower in regions with higher gravitational force.

Why am I having troubles with the gravitational time dilation equation?

The gravitational time dilation equation can be complex and challenging to understand and apply correctly. It involves concepts such as spacetime curvature and the relationship between time and gravity, which can be difficult to grasp. It is normal to have difficulties with this equation, and seeking help from a professional or studying the topic further can help improve understanding.

How is the gravitational time dilation equation used in real life?

The gravitational time dilation equation has been observed and tested in various real-life scenarios, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and the GPS system. It is also used in predicting the behavior of celestial bodies, such as black holes and stars.

What are the units of the gravitational time dilation equation?

The units of the gravitational time dilation equation depend on the system of units being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the units are meters per second squared (m/s^2) for the gravitational force and meters squared per second squared (m^2/s^2) for the speed of light.

What are some common misconceptions about the gravitational time dilation equation?

One common misconception is that this equation only applies to massive objects like planets and stars. In reality, any object with mass has a gravitational field and can experience time dilation. Another misconception is that time dilation only occurs near massive objects, but it can also happen in less extreme scenarios, such as on a mountain or in a fast-moving airplane. Lastly, some may think that the gravitational time dilation equation can be used to travel through time, but it only describes the difference in the passage of time between two points in space.