What are the guidelines for discussing religion on this forum?

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
In summary: It seems that the user is feeling upset and frustrated about the rules and reactions on the forums, leading to a potential desire to leave. There is disagreement about the purpose of the forums and how to handle certain topics, and the user may feel that their views are not being respected. Ultimately, it seems that the user is being reminded of the rules and consequences of breaking them, and may benefit from finding a different forum that aligns more with their beliefs and values.
QuantumTheory
Well, I'm 17. And sorry, although I am a huge fan of einstein, I'm interested in physics (and I do want to be a physicst) I recently got into an argument with someone and made a thread about religion I shouldn't have, and I got flamed, I got very angry, and responded back in a way I should not have.

I honestly don't think anyone here believes in christianity. Faith is what keeps you going, and knowing that I've had sever depression (and suicidal attempts in the past) I don't see the point of life. I've asked this before, you know the respones I get?

Live, start a family, reproduce.

Wow, how exciting. That really wants to make me live life.

As you can see, my warn meter went up, I don't know how it works anyway. Although I'm sure 'loseyourname' would be happy to bump it up 3 notches and ban me. That doesn't matter though, I'm not coming back anyway.
I'm sure this thread will get deleted (Im sorry) but I just wanted to tell people.

Faith is what keeps you going, maybe humans created faith to help them in hard times, but I can't live without it. I've questioned god alot, but I have to believe in god or jesus to live, or I see no point.

I've been on the forums for over a year, I'm sure I annoyed a lot of people anyway.

For the most part though, I've had a good time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also wanted to add -- if anyone thinks I should stay, please say so.

Well,
1) There are indeed christians on this board
2) Most forums on the internet have come to the conclusion that religious discussions should be barred because they almost always create the exact same flames and arguments you are describing. It is not that they are against religion (most of them), it is just that everyone realizes the discussions are rarely helpful and almost always full of childish name calling and such. You agreed to these rules remember?
3) If you have a problem with a mod, you can take it up with other mods.
4) Warn levels are not visible to other members.
5) If you want to push your opinions on others, expect them to push back with their own opinions

No one likes to see members leave and I'm positive your issues can be resolved by speaking with some of the mods as long as you realize you must abide by the rules. They are setup to ensure a positive forum with minimal bickering and name calling (the P&WA subforum seem to be another issue however).

Pengwuino said:
Well,
1) There are indeed christians on this board
2) Most forums on the internet have come to the conclusion that religious discussions should be barred because they almost always create the exact same flames and arguments you are describing. It is not that they are against religion (most of them), it is just that everyone realizes the discussions are rarely helpful and almost always full of childish name calling and such. You agreed to these rules remember?
3) If you have a problem with a mod, you can take it up with other mods.
4) Warn levels are not visible to other members.
5) If you want to push your opinions on others, expect them to push back with their own opinions

No one likes to see members leave and I'm positive your issues can be resolved by speaking with some of the mods as long as you realize you must abide by the rules. They are setup to ensure a positive forum with minimal bickering and name calling (the P&WA subforum seem to be another issue however).

P&WA? Well I almost got warned again for some reason for posting it in general discussion. Pretty crazy getting warned just for posting it in the wrong category.

Well now that it's in the feedback section I doubt I'll get any feedback, as I'm sure many members don't go there

Thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear all this QT, there are places in the web where you can have in-depth discussions about religious topics without the typically associated flaming, knee-jerks etc, which you might find useful since it is not really in the scope of PF (and you could pursue your other interests 'here').

Thank you. It just upsets me the way I feel everyone here disagrees with me.

if I go to a religion forum no one will believe in science principals, and that bothers me too.

You have more of a problem with your INABILITY to understand and comprehend the RULES that you have explicitly agreed to. If this is true, you will not only have problems with this forum, but you'll have loads of problem along the way with almost everything.

We disallow many things in PF. You were well-informed of this when you signed up. Yet, you now complain about it. Is this rational? I fully expect some spammer complaining about not being able to spam physicists if they simply go to other spam forum.

Oy vey!

Zz.

QuantumTheory said:
if I go to a religion forum no one will believe in science principals, and that bothers me too.

Well the solution does not include breaking the forum rules as zapperz noted. If you are unable to find places where people will discuss both, that is unfortunate but there is nothing we can do about it.

ZapperZ said:
You have more of a problem with your INABILITY to understand and comprehend the RULES that you have explicitly agreed to. If this is true, you will not only have problems with this forum, but you'll have loads of problem along the way with almost everything.

We disallow many things in PF. You were well-informed of this when you signed up. Yet, you now complain about it. Is this rational? I fully expect some spammer complaining about not being able to spam physicists if they simply go to other spam forum.
Oy vey!

Zz.

Yes, I broke the rules by saying a bad word. Wow.
It's people like you that make me want to leave the forums.
Honestly, I won't have problems with other things along the way. It's a forum..

People have faith in many different things and it does not need to be religion, so you got more in common with others than you think.

As far as the warnings, this is a moderated forum and you mentioned yourself that you responded in a way you shouldn't have, so there you go, learn from it and let it go.

QuantumTheory said:
Yes, I broke the rules by saying a bad word. Wow.
It's people like you that make me want to leave the forums.
Honestly, I won't have problems with other things along the way. It's a forum..

You appear to have comprehension problems. It isn't this forum.

<points to the door>

Zz.

The EvC Forums and Theology Web might be good places for you, QT. They host discussions of creationism/evolution/ID and include people from all stripes.

You should stay here for the physics and the community, though.

QuantumTheory said:
... in addition to lyn's suggestions there are philosophy forums with science (including its philosophical and religious implications, cross-overs etc.), philosophy of science and religious discussion areas (google directories for example is a good starting point). Those+PF for science related discussions are a recipe which have personally found to work pretty good.

Look at the top of the page for the button that says "Guidelines." Click on it and re-read. Note especially the section on religion that prohibits discussions that assign truth values to religion. If you want to talk about religion, this is not the place for you. If you want to talk about science, stick around, but leave the religion elsewhere. If you can't find a place where you can discuss both, you probably need to think about why that is the case.

Once again, we do not discuss specific reasons for individual warnings openly. There is a reason others can't see your warning meter, it's so that all such actions are between you and the staff only, without making a public spectacle of anyone.

Whether you stay or go is your choice at this point, but you have to adhere to the guidelines just as everyone else who posts here does. As dad used to say, "As long as you're living under my roof, you follow my rules."

What reasons do people commonly give for leaving these forums?

Some common reasons include lack of time, loss of interest in the topic, or finding a better platform for discussion.

Do people usually announce their departure from the forums?

It varies from person to person. Some may make a post announcing their departure, while others may simply stop participating without any announcement.

Is there a common trend in the types of users who leave these forums?

Not necessarily. People from all backgrounds and demographics may choose to leave the forums for various reasons.

Are there any steps the forums take to prevent people from leaving?

The forums may try to address any issues or concerns that users have in order to improve their experience and encourage them to stay. However, ultimately it is up to the individual to decide whether or not to continue participating.

Is there a way for people to return to the forums after leaving?

Yes, most forums allow users to rejoin at any time. However, it is always best to check the forum's specific policies and guidelines regarding rejoining after leaving.