I am looking for a gift book on GR

• Thread starter lalbatros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Gr
In summary: Code=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0691122288 In summary, Michel recommends reading "String Theory and M-Theory" by Becker, Becker, and Schwarz, which is a book that feels like it is describing a mature subject. If your friend is wanting a GR book, Sean Carroll's book is a good option, but if he already has MTW, there is nothing in Carroll that won't already be familiar to him. Finally, if the gift is not already given, Michel suggests getting a copy of Steven Weinberg's GR text.
lalbatros
Hello,

I have a friend who likes physics as a hobby (like me) and will have his anniversary soon.
He owns already a nice collection of classics, including MTW for example.
His oldest son just started physics at university.

What would you suggest as possible gifts for this friend?
I would consider GR as the best topic, but QM or other subject could be nice too.
The content should be of high quality, but it could "recreative" as well as very "serious" as long as it is not "blindly professional".

Thanks for yours suggestions,

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
I've just finished reading Becker, Becker, and Schwarz's "String Theory and M-Theory." It's obviously not a GR book, but it's a really nice introduction to the subject nonetheless. In fact, it's probably the first string theory book that actually feels as though it's describing a 'mature' subject.

If you're set on getting a GR book, apart from Wald (which is an obvious choice) I'd recommend Sean Carroll's book. However, since your friend already has MTW, there's nothing in Carroll that won't already be familiar to him.

A stocking filler is Dirac's beautiful little "lectures on quantum mechanics." You can get a Dover Press edition of this and it's absolutely fantastic. The amount of trouble this little thing has caused over the years is astonishing. :-)

Finally, what about https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521820812/?tag=pfamazon01-20? Some of the chapters are definitely on the "blindly professional" side of things, but the majority of the book consists of very understandable review chapters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Penrose, The Road to Reality
Lawrie, A Unified Grand Tour of Theoretical Physics, 2nd ed.
Pais, Subtle Is the Lord
Schweber, QED and the Men Who Made It

lalbatros said:
What would you suggest as possible gifts for this friend?
I would consider GR as the best topic, but QM or other subject could be nice too.
Have you considered more than one? I.e. get a copy of both a GR book and a QM book. That could be too much money though.

I recommend that you run down to a decent book store an look around. Something may pop out at you. Steven Weinberg's GR text is a good one.

Best wishes

Pete

Or Dirac's little book on GR, or the QM classic, Principles of QM.

The thing is, there's nothing more silly than to offer a book to someone that that person has already. If your friend already has MTW, there's a chance he has some other classics too...

What is a gift book on GR?

A gift book on GR is a book that is specifically chosen and given as a gift to someone who is interested in the subject of General Relativity (GR).

What are some popular gift books on GR?

Some popular gift books on GR include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.

What makes a gift book on GR a good choice?

A good gift book on GR should be engaging, informative, and visually appealing. It should also be appropriate for the recipient's level of understanding and interest in GR.

Where can I find a gift book on GR?

You can find gift books on GR at your local bookstore, online retailers such as Amazon or Barnes & Noble, or at science museums and exhibits.

Can I personalize a gift book on GR?

Yes, many gift books on GR allow for personalization through inscriptions or special editions. Additionally, you can add a personal touch by including a handwritten note or message when giving the book as a gift.