Standard Matrix of T: Horizontal Shear and Reflection Transformation Explained

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the standard matrix of T is given by the matrix product BA, where A is the matrix representing the horizontal shear and B is the matrix representing the reflection through the line x2 = x1.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Find the standard matrix of T

[tex]T: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}^2 [/tex] first performs a horizontal shear tha transforms e2 into e2 - 2e1 (leaving e1) unchanged) and then reflects points through the line x2 = x1

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]e_1 = \begin{bmatrix}
1\\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]e_2 = \begin{bmatrix}
0\\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]e_2 - 2e_1 = \begin{bmatrix}
2\\
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix}
-2 & 1 \\
1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now I am completely stuck, how do I do the reflection? I know the standard matrix is just

A= [tex]\begin{bmatrix}
0 & -1 \\
-1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

But how do I "add" this information to my old standard matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless your notation is somehow different than mine, your A doesn't look correct.

Does Ae1 = e1?

And the answer to your other question is that if the first transform is accomplished by matrix A and the next by matrix B, then you want to calculate the matrix BA to get the matrix that does it in one step.

Last edited:
The "reflection through the line [itex]x_2= x_1[/itex]" maps (1, 0) to (0, 1) and (0, 1) to (1, 0) so your matrix is
[tex]B= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I have called that matrix "B" because you have already use "A" for the "shear". The composition of the two transformations is the matrix product BA.

FAQ: Standard Matrix of T: Horizontal Shear and Reflection Transformation Explained

1. What is a standard matrix of T?

A standard matrix of T is a mathematical representation of a linear transformation T. It is a square matrix that describes how a vector in the domain is transformed into a vector in the range.

2. How does the standard matrix of T relate to horizontal shear?

The standard matrix of T for a horizontal shear transformation is a 2x2 matrix with a diagonal of 1s and a non-zero value in the top-right corner. This non-zero value represents the amount of horizontal shear, or slant, in the transformation.

3. What is the difference between a horizontal shear and a reflection transformation?

A horizontal shear transformation involves shifting points along a horizontal line, while a reflection transformation involves flipping points across a line of reflection. The standard matrix of T for a reflection transformation will have a diagonal of -1s and a non-zero value in one of the off-diagonal positions.

4. How can the standard matrix of T be used to perform a horizontal shear or reflection transformation?

The standard matrix of T can be multiplied by a vector representing a point in the original shape to obtain the coordinates of the transformed point. This process can be repeated for all points in the shape to obtain the transformed shape.

5. Are there any other types of transformations that can be represented by a standard matrix of T?

Yes, a standard matrix of T can also represent other types of transformations such as rotations, dilations, and combinations of transformations. The structure of the matrix will vary depending on the specific type of transformation being represented.