1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't tell the difference between these groups :/

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    Z(G) = { x in G : xg=gx for all g in G } (center of a group G)

C(g) = { x in G : xg=gx } (centralizer of g in G)

I have to show both are subgroups, but what's the difference in the methods?

To me the first set is saying all the elements x1, x2,... in G when composed with every element in g, commute.

The second set tells me what x1, x2,... in G when composed with a single chosen element from g in G, commute.

Is this correct?

I've found the way to show Z(G) is a subgroup from here :

So how does this differ from C(g), what other steps do I need?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2
    We say that two elements x, y of G commute if xy = yx. Suppose we have an element x of G, if it commutes with all other elements of G then it belongs to Z(G), which we call the center of G. Hence, Z(G) consists of all elements which commute with everything else. Notice that Z(G) depends only on G and doesn't refer to any specific element.

On the other hand C(g) depends on a specific element g in G. It's the set of all elements of G which commutes with g.

Try doing some examples.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook