I don't know how to find tension in a cable

In summary, to find the tension in a cable with two angles in a diagram, first draw a force diagram and break down the force of gravity into two components along the ramp. The sum of these two components and the tension in the cable must be zero. Even if the rope is not parallel to the ramp, this approach can still be used to find the tension.
Sar1994
I don't know hwo to find tension in a cable with two angles in the diagram.

I have a car that weighs 1130kg held in place with a cable on a ramp that forms an angle of 25° above horizontal and the cable makes an angle of 31° above the surface of the ramp. I have to find the tension in the cable and I don't know how! Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a force diagram first. You can see the gravitational force pulls down but the ramp changes things.

Find the force of gravity pulling the car down break it into two components with one component along the ramp. That component and the tension T on the cable must add to zero.

jedishrfu - I don't think that's quite correct. The rope isn't parallel with the ramp.

I would still approach it the same way. The car is stationary so the forces in any direction sum to zero. Let's choose the direction of the ramp that way the normal force of the car can be ignored.

In the direction of the ramp you have two forces:

1) A component of gravity
2) A component of tension in the rope.

These two sum to zero.

1. What is tension in a cable?

Tension in a cable is the amount of force exerted on the cable, typically measured in units of pounds or newtons. It is the force that keeps the cable taut and supports any weight or load that is attached to it.

2. How do you calculate tension in a cable?

The formula for calculating tension in a cable is T = F x L, where T is the tension in the cable, F is the force applied to the cable, and L is the length of the cable. This formula assumes that the cable is perfectly straight and has a negligible weight compared to the load it is supporting.

3. What factors affect the tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable is affected by several factors, including the weight of the load it is supporting, the angle at which the cable is being pulled, the length and diameter of the cable, and the material and construction of the cable itself.

4. How do you measure tension in a cable?

Tension in a cable can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a tension gauge or a dynamometer. These tools apply a known force to the cable and measure the corresponding tension. Alternatively, tension can be calculated using the aforementioned formula if the necessary data is known.

5. Why is it important to know the tension in a cable?

Knowing the tension in a cable is important for ensuring the safety and stability of structures and equipment that rely on cables for support. If the tension is too low, the cable may break under the weight of the load it is supporting. If the tension is too high, the cable may become overstretched and fail. It is also important for determining the appropriate size and strength of a cable for a given application.