1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand conservative systems

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Look below.

2. Relevant equations

So my book says that you have a conservative system when E'(t) = [(1/2)m(x'(t))2 + V(x(t))]'(t) = 0. It gives an example of V(x) = -(1/2)x2 + (1/4)x4, whence setting y = x' gives E = (1/2)y2 -(1/2)x2 + (1/4)x4. According to the book, E = constant. Not sure how they got this since E' ≠ 0 as far as I can tell.

3. The attempt at a solution

Me no understand.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2
    I found this document with the same example. As soon as my headache leaves, I read it.

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The system obeys Newton's second law, F=ma. It then follows that your expression for E is constant for any V(x). You should be able to show that E' = (ma + dV/dx)v(t), where v(t) is the velocity. Since the force F is given by -dV/dx, the factor in the parentheses vanishes, so E'=0.

However, I'm guessing your book isn't really expecting you to show that E'=0. It's telling you because the system is conservative, E'=0 so that E is a constant.

In the xy-plane, the possible behavior of the system is represented by the family of curves that satisfy ##E = \frac{1}{2}my^2 - \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{4}x^4##, where each curve can be associated with a specific value of E.

Take the example of a free particle, where V(x)=0. Then you have ##y = \sqrt{2E/m} = \text{constant}##. The particle moves with constant velocity.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook