I don't understand conservative systems

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a conservative system and the relationship between energy and force. It also provides an example of a free particle and how its motion is affected by the constant energy. The conversation concludes by discussing the possible behavior of the system in the xy-plane.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Look below.

Homework Equations

So my book says that you have a conservative system when E'(t) = [(1/2)m(x'(t))2 + V(x(t))]'(t) = 0. It gives an example of V(x) = -(1/2)x2 + (1/4)x4, whence setting y = x' gives E = (1/2)y2 -(1/2)x2 + (1/4)x4. According to the book, E = constant. Not sure how they got this since E' ≠ 0 as far as I can tell.

The Attempt at a Solution

Me no understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found this document with the same example. As soon as my headache leaves, I read it.

The system obeys Newton's second law, F=ma. It then follows that your expression for E is constant for any V(x). You should be able to show that E' = (ma + dV/dx)v(t), where v(t) is the velocity. Since the force F is given by -dV/dx, the factor in the parentheses vanishes, so E'=0.

However, I'm guessing your book isn't really expecting you to show that E'=0. It's telling you because the system is conservative, E'=0 so that E is a constant.

In the xy-plane, the possible behavior of the system is represented by the family of curves that satisfy ##E = \frac{1}{2}my^2 - \frac{1}{2}x^2 + \frac{1}{4}x^4##, where each curve can be associated with a specific value of E.

Take the example of a free particle, where V(x)=0. Then you have ##y = \sqrt{2E/m} = \text{constant}##. The particle moves with constant velocity.

Last edited:

1. What is a conservative system?

A conservative system is a physical system in which the total energy of the system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another within the system. Examples of conservative systems include a pendulum, a planet orbiting around a star, and a swinging object on a string.

2. How do conservative systems differ from non-conservative systems?

Unlike conservative systems, non-conservative systems have energy that is not conserved and can be lost or gained through external forces. Examples of non-conservative systems include a car moving on a road, where energy is lost through friction, and a ball bouncing on the ground, where energy is lost through heat and sound.

3. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This principle is a fundamental law of physics and is applicable to all systems, whether they are conservative or non-conservative.

4. How is the conservation of energy related to other physical laws?

The conservation of energy is closely related to other physical laws, such as the laws of thermodynamics and the law of conservation of momentum. These laws all describe fundamental principles that govern the behavior of physical systems and are interconnected in their applications.

5. Why is understanding conservative systems important?

Understanding conservative systems is important because it allows us to accurately predict and describe the behavior of physical systems. It also helps us to understand the fundamental laws of nature and how energy is conserved in different systems. This knowledge is crucial in many areas of science and engineering, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.