1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand why -1/2 is the higher energy level and +1/2 is the

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    This question is off my forum , and I was jsut wondering if anybody could help.

I don't understand why -1/2 is the higher energy level and +1/2 is the lower energy level.

For spin state -1/2, if the external magentic field B0 and magnetic moment uZ oppose each other, surely the energy level will be lower?

Likewise for spin state +1/2: if the external magentic field B0 and magnetic moment uZ are parallel with each other, surely the energy level will be higher?

My main moan is that there doesn't appear to be anything in the text explaining why spin state -1/2 has a higher energy than that of +1/2...

Can anyone help?

Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: I don't understand why -1/2 is the higher energy level and +1/2 is

If the fields oppose each other, the energy is higher. This is similar to classical magnets: If you try to hold a magnet in the "wrong" direction, it tries to turn around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook