I feel ripped off my like counter was decremented

• Thread starter Paul Colby
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a user responding to posts that violated forum rules and were subsequently deleted, causing them to lose likes. The other user suggested reporting such posts instead of responding to them. The initial misunderstanding was cleared up and the issue is being resolved.
Paul Colby
Insights Author
Gold Member
Okay, so I'm responding to some posts that skirt the boundary of solid physics. These posts get moderated to zero taking all replies with them. I lost 3 well earned likes.

Likes jerromyjon
Physics news on Phys.org
Paul Colby said:
Okay, so I'm responding to some posts that skirt the boundary of solid physics. These posts get moderated to zero taking all replies with them. I lost 3 well earned likes.
Wait, you had a few posts that violate the PF rules deleted, and are unhappy because that made your post likes count go down a little? Hmm...

EDIT -- post deprecated.

Last edited:
And I'm not seeing any recently deleted posts of yours (I could be missing them). How long ago was this?

berkeman said:
And I'm not seeing any recently deleted posts of yours (I could be missing them). How long ago was this?
No, he's saying he responded to threads where there were guidelines violations.

Wait, I misunderstood. You were just responding to posts that got deleted. Your posts were not the problematic ones I would guess.

In that case please Report rather than respond. If you respond to a marginal post, there is always the chance that the post will get deleted, and your efforts will be collateral damage.

berkeman said:
Wait, I misunderstood. You were just responding to posts that got deleted. Your posts were not the problematic ones I would guess.

In that case please Report rather than respond. If you respond to a marginal post, there is always the chance that the post will get deleted, and your efforts will be collateral damage.

EDIT -- Yeah, I understand better now. Sorry for my misunderstanding at first. Still, the "Report rather than reply" is a good strategy, IMO.

Likes Evo
There was little or no way to preserve any benefit of my replies as they quoted the offending text. Still it seems deletion is rather extreme and reporting leaves no avenue for teaching. Understanding why the persons view is off is as much of importance as the question asked.

We are resolving this. Thanks!

Likes Nik_2213

1. Why did my like counter get decremented?

There could be a few reasons for this. It could be a technical glitch, or it could be that some of the users who initially liked your post unliked it. It's also possible that the platform's algorithm detected suspicious or fake likes and removed them.

2. Can I get my likes back?

Unfortunately, once likes have been taken away, they cannot be restored. However, you can reach out to the platform's support team to report the issue and they may be able to provide more information or investigate further.

3. How can I prevent this from happening again?

To prevent your like counter from being decremented in the future, make sure to follow the platform's community guidelines and avoid any suspicious or spammy activities. It's also a good idea to regularly check your posts for any unusual changes.

4. Will my content be affected by the decrease in likes?

The decrease in likes may affect your content's visibility on the platform, as likes are often used as a metric for determining popularity. However, if your content is high-quality and engaging, it should still be able to reach a wide audience.

5. Is there anything I can do to increase my likes again?

Yes, you can continue to create engaging and high-quality content that resonates with your audience. You can also promote your posts through other platforms or collaborate with other creators to reach a larger audience. Additionally, engaging with your followers and building a strong community can also help increase likes on your posts.