Is a R&D job at a well-known company in my future?

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, Moonbear got a job as a research and development worker. Noggie congratulated him and Brewnog said that he knew the identity of the company.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I got a job!

From September onwards, I'll be a R&D dude for a very well known company which makes big yellow machines! Huzzah!

Yay! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh yeah, thanks Moonbear for making my CV shet hot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Attaboy, Brewnog! Congratulations. Welcome to the professional world.

brewnog said:
I got a job!
Well, they do say that work is the curse of the drinking class.

Now all I've got to do is pass this bloody degree.

Danger said:
Well, they do say that work is the curse of the drinking class.

Only if your hangovers are real bad.

franznietzsche said:
Only if your hangovers are real bad.
I don't get 'em. :approve: Sometimes a mild headache and some disorientation, but that's it.

Danger said:
I don't get 'em. :approve: Sometimes a mild headache and some disorientation, but that's it.

I drank a whole bottle of aftershock one night before a final.

BAD idea.

Learn from my mistakes. Don't drink whole bottles of 80 proof alcohol when you have some measurable need to be alive the following morning.

franznietzsche said:
Don't drink whole bottles of 80 proof alcohol when you have some measurable need to be alive the following morning.
I correct myself. I had 1 nasty one about 20 years ago when I was still diabetic. Shots were 1.5 ounces, but my psycho bartender Lynn usually overpoured. One night she stuffed 26 black Russians into me. I didn't sober up for 3 days, and then I was sick for 3 more. :yuck:

Welcome to the world of us working engineering R&D stiffs! There's nothing like it. I interviewed with your soon-to-be employer when I just got out of college myself (if it's who I am thinking it is. Your clue was pretty good).

FredGarvin said:
I interviewed with your soon-to-be employer when I just got out of college myself (if it's who I am thinking it is. Your clue was pretty good).
Let's see... a company that makes robotic bananas... hmmmm... nope, can't place it.

FredGarvin said:
Welcome to the world of us working engineering R&D stiffs! There's nothing like it. I interviewed with your soon-to-be employer when I just got out of college myself (if it's who I am thinking it is. Your clue was pretty good).

Big long furry insects right?

What a great accomplishment! I hope you enjoy it.

Danger said:
Let's see... a company that makes robotic bananas... hmmmm... nope, can't place it.

You actually made me laugh to myself. I know the clue was pretty abstract and vague, but I think I did get it.

FredGarvin said:
You actually made me laugh to myself. I know the clue was pretty abstract and vague, but I think I did get it.
It was pretty obvious, except for his location. I was pretty sure I knew who he meant, but I hadn't really ever thought of them having design facilities in the UK.
Oh, by the way... congrats Noggie. I'm sure the degree won't be a problem.

Way to go!

brewnog said:
Big long furry insects right?

That's my understanding. Congrats on the new job! And you sly sucker, you still managed to get the summer off...what a deal. Your parents can't complain you're home not looking for a job because you've already found a job, but it doesn't start yet. Great planning. :biggrin:

Awesome, brewnog! Way to go! When you start getting those regular paychecks, you can buy us a round of drinks, what say?

brewnog said:
I got a job!

From September onwards, I'll be a R&D dude for a very well known company which makes big yellow machines! Huzzah!

Yay! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So you leave the worderful world of pure science to earn money?

Traitor!

:rofl:

Moonbear said:
And you sly sucker, you still managed to get the summer off...what a deal.

Yeah baby! New Zealand here I come!

Your parents can't complain you're home not looking for a job because you've already found a job, but it doesn't start yet. Great planning. :biggrin:

I've already started rubbing it in that I get to legitimately doss around all summer! Mwhahahahahaha!

Danger said:
It was pretty obvious, except for his location. I was pretty sure I knew who he meant, but I hadn't really ever thought of them having design facilities in the UK.

Yeah, you're right. Sadly I won't actually be designing the big yellow machines in the UK, (have to wait a few years for that), but will mostly be working for the bit which makes (and designs) engines and generator sets. Hopefully though, I'll still get to, urm, borrow a digger for the weekend, every now and then! Woo woo!

Thanks everybody!

Last edited:
brewnog said:
I got a job!

From September onwards, I'll be a R&D dude for a very well known company which makes big yellow machines!

so you work for caterpillar ?

stoned said:
so you work for caterpillar ?

Soon! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'll still get to, urm, borrow a digger for the weekend, every now and then

Does this mean the world is not safe?

Do you get to test the diggers? And by test I mean rampage around Sheffield.

matthyaouw said:
Do you get to test the diggers? And by test I mean rampage around Sheffield.

It's top on my list of questions to ask. For the moment, I will be content playing with some massive engines, but digger testing is definitely an important issue.

Congrats Brewie ! Am involved in a couple of research projects with your future employer ... perhaps the world is someday small enough !

What is a R&D job at a well-known company?

A R&D job at a well-known company is a research and development job at a company that is reputable and recognized in its industry. This type of job typically involves conducting research, developing new products or processes, and finding innovative solutions to problems.

How do I get a R&D job at a well-known company?

To secure a R&D job at a well-known company, it is important to have a strong educational background in a relevant field, such as science, engineering, or technology. It may also be helpful to gain experience through internships or research projects, and to network with professionals in the industry.

What are the benefits of working at a well-known company in a R&D role?

There are many potential benefits of working at a well-known company in a R&D role. These can include access to cutting-edge technology and resources, opportunities for collaboration with talented individuals, and the potential for career advancement and recognition within the industry.

What qualities do well-known companies look for in R&D job candidates?

Well-known companies typically look for candidates who have a strong academic background, relevant experience, and a passion for innovation and problem-solving. They may also value traits such as teamwork, communication skills, and adaptability.

How important is company culture in a R&D job at a well-known company?

Company culture can play a significant role in a R&D job at a well-known company. A positive and collaborative culture can foster creativity and innovation, while a toxic or competitive culture may hinder progress. It is important to research a company's culture and values before applying for a R&D job to ensure a good fit.