Finding Position of Object with Initial Velocity and Constant Acceleration

• Thread starter moondawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2d
In summary, the problem is asking for the position of an object that starts at the origin with an initial velocity of (-14i-7j)m/s and undergoes constant acceleration of (6i+3j)m/s2 until it comes to rest. The solution involves using calculus to find the position of the object at rest.
moondawg

Homework Statement

An object, which is @ origin @ t=0, has an initial velocity
vo=(-14i-7j)m/s
and constant acceleration
a=(6i+3j)m/s2
Find position of the object when it comes to rest.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i understand how to solve this problem if the -14 is the initial vel in the x direction or and -7 is the vel in the y direction but I'm not sure if that is what that equation means or if I am supposed to find the resultant and use that? I'm pretty sure the first suggestion is what we did in class but can someone please verify so I can do this problem correctly?!

Physics news on Phys.org
a = dv/dt
a*dt=dv
use some math(calculus)
v=dx/dt (x being position)

... now do you get an idea?

Related to Finding Position of Object with Initial Velocity and Constant Acceleration

What is the difference between "I hat" and "j hat" in 2D problems?

"I hat" and "j hat" are unit vectors that represent the x and y directions, respectively, in a 2D coordinate system. They are commonly used in mathematics and physics to simplify calculations and represent directional quantities.

How do you solve for "I hat" and "j hat" in a 2D problem?

In order to solve for "I hat" and "j hat" in a 2D problem, you need to determine the components of the vector in the x and y directions. These components can then be multiplied by the unit vectors "I hat" and "j hat" to obtain the final vector.

What are some common applications of "I hat" and "j hat" in 2D problems?

"I hat" and "j hat" are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent forces, velocities, and other directional quantities in a 2D system. They are also used in mathematics to represent coordinates and vectors in a 2D plane.

Are "I hat" and "j hat" always perpendicular to each other in 2D problems?

Yes, "I hat" and "j hat" are always perpendicular to each other in a 2D coordinate system. This means that they form a 90 degree angle with each other and can be used to define a right angle.

Can "I hat" and "j hat" be used in 3D problems as well?

Yes, "I hat" and "j hat" can also be used in 3D problems. In addition to representing the x and y directions, there is also a unit vector "k hat" that represents the z direction in a 3D coordinate system. Together, these three unit vectors can be used to solve for vectors and quantities in three-dimensional space.