Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I hate socks

1. Jun 19, 2011 #1

wolram

Gold Member

They irritate my feet and legs, the first thing i do when i get home is to take the off, i think toe rags were first worn to stop boots scuffing feet, that's where the derogative form (you are just a toe rag came from), may be it is just us westerners wear socks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2
    Hmmmmm. Noooooo! I'm a big fan of socks.

Maybe you just need to find socks made of softer material, Wolram.

4. Jun 19, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Besides cushioning the feet and helping to prevent blisters, socks also keep the feet warm in colder climates.

One of my favorite pastimes is going for long hikes of up to 70 miles in the Olympic and Cascade mountains of Western Washington. Mostly I do these hikes in the summer, so cold feet isn't a concern, but preventing my feet from bruising and minimizing blisters is essential to being able to cover up to 20 miles in a day, while carrying a 50-lb backpack. I usually carry at least four pairs of wool socks, and wear two pairs at a time. I hang wet socks outside my pack to help them dry.

There are different grades of wool -- some are pretty coarse and seem scratchy to some. Other grades are a lot softer. There are also different kinds of socks made from synthetic yarns, that aren't scratchy at all.

5. Jun 19, 2011 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I totally agree with wollie.
    Besides, they sh*t between my toes!! :mad:

6. Jun 19, 2011 #5
    My socks were a gift from Mohammad Ali.

7. Jun 19, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You're not wearing them right.

8. Jun 19, 2011 #7
    socks slow the accumulation of organic matter in the shoes, giving fungi less to feed on, and keeping the shoes from getting so smelly.

9. Jun 19, 2011 #8
    ^That

It's difficult to wash the insides of shoes, so socks give something to take off and wash instead.

10. Jun 19, 2011 #9
    All Pro Maxspun Cotton. I swear by them. Good reviews, too.

11. Jun 23, 2011 #10
    Maybe you're wearing your socks on the wrong feet. :tongue2: :biggrin:

I love wearing white cotton socks. I only take them off when I take a shower. They help keep my feet warm in the winter and they retain just enough moisture to keep my feet from drying out (the latter an issue for us ancients).

12. Jun 23, 2011 #11
  13. Jun 23, 2011 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Go barefoot - au naturel.

14. Jun 23, 2011 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reminds me of a recent link
    [PLAIN]http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/sites/default/files/images/http-inlinethumb36.webshots.com-45859-2909738550104237032S600x600Q85.preview.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  15. Jun 23, 2011 #14
    This is from the book "Einstein: The Life and Times." by Ronald W. Clark

16. Jun 24, 2011 #15

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good except that for $10 a pair I'd expect two socks of the same color. You have to buy two pair just to get a match! Lousy marketing department dirtbags, they never miss an opportunity to stick it to the consumer. :mad:

17. Jun 24, 2011 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I like socks to protect my shoes from sweat. Shoes are expensive and socks are cheap and washable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook