Wearing Toe Rags: From Function to Derogatory Slang

In summary, socks are worn to protect the feet from sweat, to keep the feet warm in colder climates, and to prevent bruises and blisters.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
They irritate my feet and legs, the first thing i do when i get home is to take the off, i think toe rags were first worn to stop boots scuffing feet, that's where the derogative form (you are just a toe rag came from), may be it is just us westerners wear socks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmmm. Noooooo! I'm a big fan of socks.

Maybe you just need to find socks made of softer material, Wolram.

Besides cushioning the feet and helping to prevent blisters, socks also keep the feet warm in colder climates.

One of my favorite pastimes is going for long hikes of up to 70 miles in the Olympic and Cascade mountains of Western Washington. Mostly I do these hikes in the summer, so cold feet isn't a concern, but preventing my feet from bruising and minimizing blisters is essential to being able to cover up to 20 miles in a day, while carrying a 50-lb backpack. I usually carry at least four pairs of wool socks, and wear two pairs at a time. I hang wet socks outside my pack to help them dry.

There are different grades of wool -- some are pretty coarse and seem scratchy to some. Other grades are a lot softer. There are also different kinds of socks made from synthetic yarns, that aren't scratchy at all.

I totally agree with wollie.
Besides, they sh*t between my toes! :mad:

My socks were a gift from Mohammad Ali.

You're not wearing them right.

socks slow the accumulation of organic matter in the shoes, giving fungi less to feed on, and keeping the shoes from getting so smelly.

Proton Soup said:
socks slow the accumulation of organic matter in the shoes, giving fungi less to feed on, and keeping the shoes from getting so smelly.

^That

It's difficult to wash the insides of shoes, so socks give something to take off and wash instead.

All Pro Maxspun Cotton. I swear by them. Good reviews, too.

wolram said:
They irritate my feet and legs, the first thing i do when i get home is to take the off, i think toe rags were first worn to stop boots scuffing feet, that's where the derogative form (you are just a toe rag came from), may be it is just us westerners wear socks.

Maybe you're wearing your socks on the wrong feet. :tongue2: :biggrin:

I love wearing white cotton socks. I only take them off when I take a shower. They help keep my feet warm in the winter and they retain just enough moisture to keep my feet from drying out (the latter an issue for us ancients).

Go barefoot - au naturel.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I love socks and these Dr. Comforts are the best! Feels like you are walking on a cloud with angels hugging your feet.

http://www.drcomfort.com/our-footwear/socks/no-show/no-show

Reminds me of a recent link
[PLAIN]http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/sites/default/files/images/http-inlinethumb36.webshots.com-45859-2909738550104237032S600x600Q85.preview.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from the book "Einstein: The Life and Times." by Ronald W. Clark

Clark said:
Einstein, for his part, was delighted that he could turn to a companion at a formal dinner where his own merits were being lauded and whisper: "But the man doesn't wear socks!"

Greg Bernhardt said:
I love socks and these Dr. Comforts are the best! Feels like you are walking on a cloud with angels hugging your feet.

http://www.drcomfort.com/our-footwear/socks/no-show/no-show
Looks good except that for $10 a pair I'd expect two socks of the same color. You have to buy two pair just to get a match! Lousy marketing department dirtbags, they never miss an opportunity to stick it to the consumer. :mad:

I like socks to protect my shoes from sweat. Shoes are expensive and socks are cheap and washable.

1. What is the function of wearing toe rags?

The primary function of wearing toe rags is to protect one's feet from harsh surfaces, such as hot sand or rough terrain. They can also help absorb sweat and prevent blisters.

2. Are there different types of toe rags?

Yes, there are various types of toe rags, including traditional fabric rags, athletic tape, and specially designed toe socks. Each type offers different levels of protection and comfort.

3. How do toe rags become a derogatory term?

The term "toe rag" has origins in the 19th century when it was used to describe a piece of cloth used to wipe one's feet. Over time, it evolved into a derogatory term used to insult someone's social status or character.

4. Can wearing toe rags improve foot health?

Yes, wearing toe rags can improve foot health by providing a barrier between the skin and rough surfaces, reducing friction, and absorbing sweat. They can also help prevent foot infections and blisters.

5. How do I properly care for my toe rags?

To keep your toe rags clean and effective, it is important to regularly wash them with soap and warm water. Allow them to fully dry before wearing them again. If using fabric rags, it is also recommended to replace them regularly to avoid bacteria buildup.