I have a house!

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
I always figured it made more sense to rent a tractor, rather than buy one, but then the local rental yard closed! :cry:

I'm guessing that set you back $25K plus implements?
Nope! Nice Kubota L2800 diesel with weighted industrial tires, block heater, brush guard, wired-in rear work-light, hydraulic 3-pt hitch, hydrostatic drive with rear PTO and loader = $18,000. The loader is the same one that they mount on the L3400 series, so it's plenty rugged. It goes from 2WD to 4WD with one control, and has 3 speed ranges and a manual accelerator lever so you can cruise down the road without keeping your foot on the heel-and-toe accelerator. I can rent or borrow attachments that use the PTO and 3-pt hitch as needed, and I have a neighbor who owns a nice old rear-mount grader blade that is too small for his huge Ford, but perfect for this tractor. He has told me to come get it if I want it.

I thought about renting as-needed, but transportation, delivery, and tight schedules to get needed work done nixed that idea. I have a very large back (not yet) lawn to develop, plus landscaping around the pond out back, plus building stone-walled raised-bed flower gardens and vegetable gardens on the front and side lawns. If I ever decide to sell the tractor, I will have gotten a lot of good use out of it, and I made sure to get one of the larger-framed models in demand by contractors and landscapers instead of a home-owner's version, so re-sale value will be high.

BTW, that's the out-the-door price with state sales tax, delivery, etc all taken care of plus a free on-site 50-hour service. All I pay for at that service is fluids and filters - labor, transportation, etc is all covered.

Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member
I found a guy today (son of an old friend) who will deliver 14-yard loads of well-rotted (5-6 YO) cow manure for $200 delivered. Now, I'm trying to figure out where I could put it
Having experienced Yankee fast food, I suggest that you open a burger stand.

Evo
Mentor
Congratulations Moonbear!!!

From It's a Wonderful Life -
Bread... that this house may never know hunger. Salt... that life may always have flavor. And wine... that joy and prosperity may reign forever.