I have a question on one of my classnotes

• Thread starter wingingit_2
  • Start date
In summary, the problem statement is too terse and inaccurate for us to understand, and the units of velocity are not cm or inches. The definition of near field varies from discipline to discipline, and sttel may just be a typo for steel. This problem is for a course in engineering, and the textbook is not specified.
wingingit_2
I have a question on one of my papers and he never showed us how to do it and I don't understand.
A 5 MHz, 1/2 dia, lat straight beam transducer in steel(velocity in sttel=.585 cm or .23 in) has a near field lenth? Can answer because I don't know how to do the math.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, your question does NOT make anysense to me.

Second of all, you should try the problem yourself, and tell us where you are stuck on.

I did try the problem. If you don't know how to do the problem then how can you do the problem. And I am asking some one to help with how to figure out the problem that I wrote about. so my question is how do I do that problem. Which is: A 5 MHz, 1/2 dia, lat straight beam transducer in steel(velocity in sttel=.585 cm or .23 in) has a near field length? Again How would I even know how to start this.

Please provide more background and information to help us understand the problem. I agree with l46kok that your problem statement is too terse and inaccurate for us to understand.

Like, the units of velocity are not cm or inches, right? And what is a "lat straight beam transducer"? It sounds like some kind of ultrasonic transducer, but that's just a guess. And how does your textbook define the "near field"? What fraction or number of wavelengths? The definition of near field varies from discipline to discipline. Also, is "sttel" just a typo for steel? I'm guessing that it is, but you repeated it twice (probably just a cut and paste).

What course is this for? What textbook are you using?

wingingit_2 said:
I did try the problem. If you don't know how to do the problem then how can you do the problem. And I am asking some one to help with how to figure out the problem that I wrote about. so my question is how do I do that problem. Which is: A 5 MHz, 1/2 dia, lat straight beam transducer in steel(velocity in sttel=.585 cm or .23 in) has a near field length? Again How would I even know how to start this.

You should at least come up with relevant equations to work through this problem.

We enforce these rules to prevent people from just posting the question without even trying and letting the helpers do your homework.

1. What should I do if I have a question on one of my classnotes?

If you have a question on one of your classnotes, the first thing you should do is reach out to your professor or instructor. They are the best resource for clarifying any confusion or providing further explanation.

2. Is it okay to ask a question during class about my classnotes?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask a question during class about your classnotes. In fact, it is encouraged! Class time is the perfect opportunity to seek clarification and engage in discussion with your peers and instructor.

3. What if I am still confused after asking my professor about my classnotes?

If you are still confused after asking your professor, there are a few options you can try. You can reach out to classmates for help, schedule a meeting with your professor for further explanation, or seek additional resources such as textbooks or online materials.

4. Can I email my professor with a question about my classnotes?

Yes, you can email your professor with a question about your classnotes. However, keep in mind that it may take some time for them to respond and email may not be the most effective form of communication for complex questions. In-person or virtual office hours may be a better option for more thorough explanations.

5. How can I take better notes to avoid confusion in the future?

To take better notes and avoid confusion in the future, try to actively listen during class and take detailed, organized notes. Use abbreviations and symbols to save time, but make sure you can understand them later. It may also be helpful to review your notes after class and fill in any missing information or clarify any confusing points. Experiment with different note-taking methods to find what works best for you.