I have an intuitive understanding of the definitions that will follow,

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Definitions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Noxide
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
I have an intuitive understanding of the definitions that will follow, but in my search to find specific definitions I only come up with vague explanations and contentious or subjective uses of those definitions. Please provide some definitions (mathematical) for the following list (and sources if possible):

proposition

lemma

corollary

theorem

principle

law

ruleThanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Noxide said:
proposition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition"
lemma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemma_%28mathematics%29"

corollary
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corollary"

theorem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorem"

principle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle"
law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_law"

rule
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.U.L.E."
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Many of the definitions listed depend on the definition of a proposition, however according to wikipedia (which I am aware of) there exists a great deal of contention as to the definition of a preposition...
 


Last sentence in the introduction of the "proposition" article : "Strawson advocated the use of the term "statement" (instead of proposition), and this is the current usage in mathematical logic."

Here.