I have several questions in in satellite,space research and spacecraft

In summary: That is, I could read a Russian schematic for a component and understand what it does, what its specs are and how it works. I could also read and understand a Russian journal paper on a topic in my field. For some reason aerospace engineering is very international with a lot of cross-cultural exchange of knowledge.Okay, there's some answers. Good luck on your journey of learning.In summary, satellite engineering is a complex field that requires a diverse set of skills and expertise. Satellites can vary greatly in terms of their design and purpose, but typically include basic components such as power systems, control systems, and mission-specific components. Engineering physicists play a key role in the development of satellites, working with other professionals in various specialties
Ahmadsh
Hi all,
In fact I have several questions, especially in satellite,space research and spacecraft . mainly i target by my questions to get the knowledge in electronics,communication and physics.so,i want to have an open discussion for my benefit and so others.

1-I want to know some details about satellite sys and hardware design,for example satellite has an antenna and solar cell wings and what else? The satellite,which is composed?What are the stages of manufacture of the satellite?

2-What is the difference between communications satellites,other NASA/scientific satellites and laser satellite?

3-What are the kinds of satellite?and what about Satellite Imaging techniques?

4-How do engineering physicist developed the satellite?

5-What about Hubble Space Telescope, is it a telescope or a satellite or both? how are the engineers devlope it?

Physics news on Phys.org
thank you but i want details more details like reference,i want just name and i will get it to read . and what about hardware design? also How do engineering physicist developed the satellite?

take this link and read 2nd paragraph.

http://www.engineering.uAlberta.ca/physics.cfm [Broken]

i want really someone like satellite and has information if he took master in this field or work in company or research center or nasa.

finnally thank you for your reply

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread moved from EE to Aerospace Engineering to get some better views.

To be blunt, the reason there have not been many answers is that the original post is too open-ended for this forum, or any other forum. Ahmadsh, you are asking us to write several books.

While you can glean some information on a broad topic such as this from wikipedia and the like, the internet is not the best place to find answers to open-ended questions such as this. What you need is an old-fashioned device called a library.

If you have a specific question there are many here who are willing and able to provide answers.

Your questions are too broad, and given the subject at hand, your answers will only be limited to a surface level type response, since most "detailed" information you might be inquiring would be proprietary/classified.

How do engineering physicist developed the satellite

They design it around the requirements and payload.

Ahmadsh said:
How do engineering physicist developed the satellite

Hey, check it out. I did a google search on satellite engineering, and got some great hits for you. Here's an MIT free online course:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Aeronautics-and-Astronautics/16-851Fall2003/CourseHome/ [Broken]

A satelllite engineering forum:

http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=24&page=1

And a job search portal:

http://education-portal.com/become_a_satellite_engineering.html

You could duplicate the search to see the other hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be a "rocket scientist" with an EE degree (I used to work on satellites and space systems) so I'll take a stab. You question is insanely broad but that's how questions often have to start.

Some specific answers:

1. What a satellite has electronically depends very much on the mission. The basics however are: power to run things, systems to control orientation and orbit, mission electronics and other mission specific components (e.g. optics, etc.).

2 & 3. There are probably too many different kinds of satellites to describe but some of the big categories are:

a. Communication
b. Navigation
c. Remote Sensing/Imaging
d. Research
e. Manned Systems
f. Military and Intelligence Systems

4. Most satellite require many, many different talents and areas of expertise to develop. One professional type can't do it all. This is why they tend to be expensive and take years to design and build. I used to work daily with physicists, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, chemists and chemical engineers, aeronautical engineers, mathematicians, etc. with each of these types of professions having many different subspecialities. For example I knew a ChemE who specialized in hypergolic liquid rocket fuel and a different guy who specialized in solid rocket fuel.

5. Hubble is both a telescope and a satellite.Some of the things I used to do involving satellites as an electrical engineer included:

1. System design and architecture based on mission requirements - figuring out all the pieces to do the job. This was usually in a large team of many specialties.

2. Implementation design validation and proof of concept for electronic systems and components - proving the pieces will work through lots of calculations and simulation on computers

3. Supervision of subcontractors involved in subsystem design, implementation and delivery - making sure the pieces work in real life as we designed them to

4. Technology development for space environment needs - there be heat, cold and radiation in space unlike anything on Earth so custom stuff often needs to be built from scratch

5. Component reliability testing for space environments - proving heat, cold and radiation won't be a problem for the pieces

6. Launch and in-orbit failure failure analysis - why did the rocket explode or the satellite go "dark"

I also picked up knowledge of orbital mechanics and space physics in the process, plus a working knowledge of technical Russian.

1. What is the purpose of satellite research?

Satellite research is conducted to gather data and information about the Earth, its atmosphere, and outer space. This information is then used for various purposes such as monitoring weather patterns, mapping the Earth's surface, and studying the effects of climate change.

2. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit due to the balance between the Earth's gravitational pull and the centrifugal force created by the satellite's speed and trajectory. This allows them to continuously circle the Earth without falling back down.

3. What types of research can be done with spacecraft?

Spacecraft are used for various types of research including studying other planets and celestial bodies, conducting experiments in microgravity, and monitoring the effects of space travel on the human body. They are also used for communication and navigation purposes.

4. How are satellites and spacecraft powered?

Satellites and spacecraft are powered by various sources such as solar energy, nuclear power, or chemical reactions. The type of power source used depends on the specific mission and the duration of the mission.

5. How long do satellites and spacecraft last in space?

The lifespan of satellites and spacecraft varies depending on their design, purpose, and the conditions they are exposed to in space. Some satellites can last for decades while others may have a shorter lifespan due to wear and tear or obsolescence.