I have trouble with Graphing rational functions, me,test is tomorrow

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of graphing rational functions and the use of horizontal, vertical, and oblique asymptotes. The individual is seeking help with the topic for a test the next day and provides two equations for clarification. The responder advises to properly write the equations and explains the process of finding asymptotes and determining the overall shape of the graph.
ming2008
I have trouble with Graphing rational functions, please help me,test is tomorrow

I do not know how to use horizontal , vertical , oblique asymptotes to graph a rathional functions.

like y=2x+3+3/x+1;
y=x^2-4/x-4

thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, this was posted yesterday so I imagine it is too late. (Please do not expect people to be sitting around waiting for you to post something. We do have lives.)

The first thing you need to do is write the equations properly. Surely you do not actually mean "y= 2x+ 3+ (3/x)+ 1" or "y= x^2- (4/x)-4" which is what you wrote! Use parentheses: y= 2x+ 3+ 3/(x+1)? or y= (x^2-4)/(x-4) ?

You need to look at places where the denominator of any fraction is 0. Those will be, in general, vertical asymptotes. You should also look for places where the entire function is equal to 0. Those will be places where the graph crosses the x-axis. Finally, by checking the sign of f(x) for a single x-value in each interval between such points, you can get a rough idea of what the graph looks like between.

for reaching out for help with graphing rational functions. It can definitely be a challenging topic, especially when a test is coming up. I would recommend seeking additional resources or reaching out to a tutor for extra support. In the meantime, here are a few tips that may help you with graphing rational functions:

1. Identify any vertical, horizontal, or oblique asymptotes. These are important guidelines that will help you plot the graph accurately.

2. Plot some key points on the graph by choosing different values for x and solving for y. This will help you get a sense of the overall shape of the graph.

3. Pay attention to the behavior of the function as x approaches the asymptotes. This will give you a better understanding of how the graph behaves near these points.

4. Don't forget to label your axes and include a title for your graph. This will make it easier for you to interpret and for your teacher to grade.

Remember, practice makes perfect, so don't get discouraged if you don't get it right the first time. Keep working at it and seeking help when needed. Good luck on your test tomorrow!

Related to I have trouble with Graphing rational functions, me,test is tomorrow

1. What are rational functions?

Rational functions are functions that can be represented as a ratio of two polynomials. They can be written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. How do you graph rational functions?

To graph a rational function, you can start by finding the x and y intercepts by setting the numerator and denominator equal to 0, respectively. Then, plot these points on a coordinate plane and draw a smooth curve connecting them. It is also helpful to analyze the behavior of the function as x approaches positive and negative infinity.

3. What is the purpose of graphing rational functions?

Graphing rational functions allows us to visually understand the behavior of the function and identify key features such as asymptotes, intercepts, and end behavior. This can help us analyze and solve problems involving rational functions.

4. What are some common misconceptions about graphing rational functions?

One common misconception is that rational functions always have a vertical asymptote at x = 0. While this may be true in some cases, it is not always the case. Another misconception is that rational functions cannot have horizontal or slant asymptotes, when in fact they can have both.

5. How can I prepare for a test on graphing rational functions?

To prepare for a test on graphing rational functions, it is important to review the key concepts and properties of rational functions, such as finding intercepts, asymptotes, and end behavior. Practice solving problems and graphing different types of rational functions to improve your understanding and skills.