I need electrical comparison help, anybody?

In summary, there are three products being compared for the purchase of a dental magnetostrictive ultrasonic scaler. The first product is an autoclave with a maximum power consumption of 30 VA and a vibration frequency of 28-36 kHz. The second and third products have the same input voltage and power consumption, but the second product has a lower pressure setting and the third product has additional specifications such as half-excursion force and output power. Cost would also be a factor to consider when choosing between these products.
Suzanne
I want to purchase a dental magneostrictive ultrasonic scaler. I need help with comparisons on technical specifications.

Can anyone help me determine what is the best unit as far as output goes, if I give you the specifications?

(Obviously I do not know electrical stuff - Just teeth)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

Perhaps you could go ahead and post the specs, and maybe somebody can answer your questions. (It's hard to know if we can help without having seen the specs.)

I want to compare three products.
Can you tell me which, if any is better than another.

FIRST:
Supply voltage: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 115-230 V~ 50 / 60 Hz
Equipment classification: . . . .. . . Class II - BF type
Operating conditions: . . . . . . . . . Intermittent duty 10 min. / 5 min.
Max. power consumption: . . . . .. . 30 VA
Min. vibration frequency: . . . . . . 28-36 kHz
Water pressure: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 to 5 bar (14 to 72 psi)
Water filter: . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 60 µm
Operating temperature
+10 to +40°C at 95% RH max. without condensation.
Storage temperature
-20 to +70°C at 95% RH max without condensation.
Sterilization of handpiece and accessories (wrenches, storage kits, etc.) in an autoclave according to ISO 11134 Standard: Temperature: 134°C (273°F);
Pressure: 2 Bars (29 P.S.I.); Sterilization time: 18 minutes.

2nd
Supply voltage:100V -240V 50/60Hz 1.2 (max)
main unit input: 30VDC 1.3 A
Output power: 3W - 20W
Frequency: 28kHz +- 3kHZ
water presure: 0.01 MPa -0.5 MPa
sterilizable pressure to 0.22 MPa

3rd
Power input: 100V to 240 V~ 50Hz/60Hz 1.2A (max)
Main Unit input: 30VDC 1.3A
Output primary tip vibration excursion: (less than?The sign was the sideways V pointed to the left with a line under it) 100 µm
Tip vibration Frequency: 28kHz +- 3kHz
Output half-excusrion force: Less than 2N
Output power: 3W to 20W
Main unit furse: 250VT to 1.6 AL
Adapter fuse: 250 VT 2.0 AL
Water Pressure: 0.1bar to 5 bar (0.01MPa to 0.5MPa)

Suzanne said:
I want to compare three products.
Can you tell me which, if any is better than another.

FIRST:
Supply voltage: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 115-230 V~ 50 / 60 Hz
Equipment classification: . . . .. . . Class II - BF type
Operating conditions: . . . . . . . . . Intermittent duty 10 min. / 5 min.
Max. power consumption: . . . . .. . 30 VA
Min. vibration frequency: . . . . . . 28-36 kHz
Water pressure: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 to 5 bar (14 to 72 psi)
Water filter: . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 60 µm
Operating temperature
+10 to +40°C at 95% RH max. without condensation.
Storage temperature
-20 to +70°C at 95% RH max without condensation.
Sterilization of handpiece and accessories (wrenches, storage kits, etc.) in an autoclave according to ISO 11134 Standard: Temperature: 134°C (273°F);
Pressure: 2 Bars (29 P.S.I.); Sterilization time: 18 minutes.

2nd
Supply voltage:100V -240V 50/60Hz 1.2 (max)
main unit input: 30VDC 1.3 A
Output power: 3W - 20W
Frequency: 28kHz +- 3kHZ
water presure: 0.01 MPa -0.5 MPa
sterilizable pressure to 0.22 MPa

3rd
Power input: 100V to 240 V~ 50Hz/60Hz 1.2A (max)
Main Unit input: 30VDC 1.3A
Output primary tip vibration excursion: (less than?The sign was the sideways V pointed to the left with a line under it) 100 µm
Tip vibration Frequency: 28kHz +- 3kHz
Output half-excusrion force: Less than 2N
Output power: 3W to 20W
Main unit furse: 250VT to 1.6 AL
Adapter fuse: 250 VT 2.0 AL
Water Pressure: 0.1bar to 5 bar (0.01MPa to 0.5MPa)

I'm confused; is the first one an autoclave as well as an ultrasonic cleaner? Your general purpose ultrasonic cleaner will agitate and work loose the crud in all the nooks, crannies and knurling of your tools. I'm not sure how effective this is in sterilizing your tools, but I think you're supposed to autoclave after cleaning.

As for the actual ultrasonic output, II and III look to have the same; I may or may not, since they only give the power consumption (which, as I say, may or may not include the autoclaving function--the specs read a little ambiguously)

MATLABdude said:
I'm confused; is the first one an autoclave as well as an ultrasonic cleaner?

The OP said scaler, not cleaner. It seems to be for cleaning teeth, not instruments. (I know electronics, not teeth).

I wouldn't worry about the input power specs. All units seem to use 30 to 40 Watts, less than a typical light bulb i.e. not very much.

They all run at about 28,000 vibrations per second, though Unit 1 might be as high as 36,000.

Comparing output pressures in like units, using 1 bar = 0.1 MPa:

Unit 1: 0.1 to 0.5 MPa
Unit 2: 0.01 to 0.5 MPa
Unit 3: 0.01 to 0.5 MPa

So, Units 2 & 3 are capable of a lower pressure setting (1/10th) compared to Unit 1. All units have the same maximum pressure of 0.5 MPa or 5 bars. That's about 5 times atmospheric pressure.

Is a low, "softer" pressure setting useful in some situations? That might be a reason for choosing #2 or #3.

Several of the specs are listed for one unit and not the others, so we can't compare things like "Output half-excusrion force" for example.

And of course, cost would be another consideration.

Redbelly98 said:
The OP said scaler, not cleaner. It seems to be for cleaning teeth, not instruments. (I know electronics, not teeth).

I wouldn't worry about the input power specs. All units seem to use 30 to 40 Watts, less than a typical light bulb i.e. not very much.

They all run at about 28,000 vibrations per second, though Unit 1 might be as high as 36,000.

Comparing output pressures in like units, using 1 bar = 0.1 MPa:

Unit 1: 0.1 to 0.5 MPa
Unit 2: 0.01 to 0.5 MPa
Unit 3: 0.01 to 0.5 MPa

So, Units 2 & 3 are capable of a lower pressure setting (1/10th) compared to Unit 1. All units have the same maximum pressure of 0.5 MPa or 5 bars. That's about 5 times atmospheric pressure.

Is a low, "softer" pressure setting useful in some situations? That might be a reason for choosing #2 or #3.

Several of the specs are listed for one unit and not the others, so we can't compare things like "Output half-excusrion force" for example.

And of course, cost would be another consideration.

Hah! I should read more completely. Scaling :yuck:...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_scaling

I suppose that also explains why they list a sterilization temperature and time under device I.

Thank you both so much for your replies.
Spec 1 is probably 4 times the cost of #3.
I just wanted to see if the units were comparable for what they can do. #1 is about $2500 and would be imported from France.

#3 can be purchased for about $600 from China. I don't care where it comes from as long as it can do the same thing as #1.

So if #3 can function the same as #1, then that's my choice.

Thanks again : )

You're welcome.

For what it's worth, I'm rather leery of Chinese products. The quality control can leave a lot to be desired with some of the companies over there.

How much is #2? If it's within a couple hundred $ of #3, it might be worth it.

Here is the website for # 2
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ULTRASONIC-PIEZO-SCALER-WITH-LIQUID-DOSING-DTE-D7_W0QQitemZ230325739237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230325739237&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

and #3
http://cgi.ebay.com/Satelec-Compatible-Dental-Ultrasonic-Piezo-Scaler-D5_W0QQitemZ220359921570QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220359921570&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

These scalers are listed on Ebay. I don't need the water resivoir in # 2, but for some reason it looks like it does more than#3.
Tell me what you think.
Thanks,
Suzanne

P.S.
Both #2 and #3 are made in China.
They both have a year warrenty, which is the same warrenty as the one made in France.

Suzanne said:
P.S.
Both #2 and #3 are made in China.
They both have a year warrenty, which is the same warrenty as the one made in France.

Ah, in that case it probably doesn't matter.

I am terrible (as you can tell) about making decisions and you have helped me.

At least I now "know" that the scalers from China funcion about the same as the one from France, and that is what I was looking for.

Thnak you again for your help.
Suzanne

honestly, I'm a bit skeptical of being able to judge the products based on the specs.

Proton Soup said:
honestly, I'm a bit skeptical of being able to judge the products based on the specs.

Very true. Especially if the specs reported aren't exactly, how would you say, "typical" of the average unit. To the OP, assuming you're a hygienist or a dentist, are there trade magazines or colleagues that have any of the above machines, or, at least, familiarity with those brands? Well, you could always be the first of your cohort/class/circle.

I asked on a "dental forum" if anyone had used the Chinese brand and only got one reply. They said it was a good unit.

Most dental scalers are made in the US. I do not know what the typical "specs" of scalers are and only inquired about the similarity between the 3 listed above because the one from France is considered the "Ferarri" of scalers. So I wanted to find comparisons on that one specific brand.

This is a really fun and informative forum.
Thank you all for your interest and help. : )

PS: Where is the spell check?

Suzanne said:
I asked on a "dental forum" if anyone had used the Chinese brand and only got one reply. They said it was a good unit.

Most dental scalers are made in the US. I do not know what the typical "specs" of scalers are and only inquired about the similarity between the 3 listed above because the one from France is considered the "Ferarri" of scalers. So I wanted to find comparisons on that one specific brand.

This is a really fun and informative forum.
Thank you all for your interest and help. : )

PS: Where is the spell check?

There is no spell check; use Firefox to get one built-in (great for Webmail or these forums, BTW--yes, yes, I'm sure there's an IE plug-in, but Firefox is all-around better):
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

EDIT: Said respondent wasn't a new poster with only the single post, were they? Sometimes you get shills going around to spread some word-of-mouth, or a con, and that's usually the best indicator. On the other hand, your question may have motivated a first-time poster, long-time lurker to say something. Just FYI.

1. How do I compare electrical components?

To compare electrical components, you need to first identify the specific components you want to compare. Then, you can evaluate their specifications, such as voltage, current, resistance, and capacitance, to determine which one is better suited for your needs.

2. What is the best way to compare electrical systems?

The best way to compare electrical systems is to create a table or chart that lists the specifications of each system side by side. This will allow you to easily see the similarities and differences between the systems and make an informed decision.

3. How do I know which electrical component is the most energy efficient?

To determine the most energy efficient electrical component, you can compare their power ratings, which indicate the amount of energy they consume. The lower the power rating, the more energy efficient the component is.

4. Can I use a multimeter to compare electrical components?

Yes, a multimeter is a useful tool for comparing electrical components. You can use it to measure voltage, current, resistance, and other specifications to determine which component is better.

5. Are there any online resources for comparing electrical components?

Yes, there are many online resources that allow you to compare electrical components. Some popular websites include Digi-Key, Mouser, and Newark, which provide detailed specifications and pricing information for a wide range of components.