I calculating gravitational acceleration.

In summary: Hello GabbyOcean. Welcome to PF !How are weight, mass, and acceleration due to gravity related?Delete my post please!That's not how we do things here at PF .
GabbyOcean

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration of gravity on Planet X on which an object weighs 300 N if it weighs 98 N on Earth?

Homework Equations

My first thought was Dividing 300 N / 98 N.

The Attempt at a Solution

300 N/ 98 N = 3.06 m/s2

Physics news on Phys.org
GabbyOcean said:

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration of gravity on Planet X on which an object weighs 300 N if it weighs 98 N on Earth?

Homework Equations

My first thought was Dividing 300 N / 98 N.

The Attempt at a Solution

300 N/ 98 N = 3.06 m/s2
Hello GabbyOcean. Welcome to PF !

How are weight, mass, and acceleration due to gravity related?

Delete my post please!

Last edited:
SammyS said:
That's not how we do things here at PF .

I wanted to delete my post and I didn't know how, therefore I asked the moderators to erase it.What's wrong with that?

Regarding the question:

If an object weighs 98 N on Earth we have:

98/9.8 = 10 kg

Your object has a mass of 10 kg

For a 10 kg object to weigh 300 N:

300/10 = 30 N

As a Newton is the force needed to accelerate a 1 kg object 1 m s-2 in space, the gravitational acceleration on planet X is 30 m s-2

You could in fact calculate the gravitational acceleration on planet X by multiplying 9.8 by 3.06. 300/98 = 3.06 indicates that the gravitational acceleration on planet X is 3.06 times that on earth.

9.8 × 3.06 = 29.988
(the exact result of 300/98 is slightly greater than 3.06)

Last edited:
GwtBc said:
I wanted to delete my post and I didn't know how, therefore I asked the moderators to erase it.What's wrong with that?
I see what happened !

I saw on my iPhone that I had a response to my first post in this thread and assumed that it was from OP (Original Poster) -- but apparently it was from you, GwtBc. Then when I got around to responding on my computer I saw the request to delete the post, but I still didn't realize that the request was from you, and not OP.

It would have been fine for you to have your post deleted, but not OK for OP, GabbyOcean, to delete the threat or an important post. (BTW: You could have deleted your post yourself.)

(I'll have to stop answering these things so late at night -- I make too many mistakes.)

In fact, you may want to delete most of your most recent post, since it give far too complete an answer.

FAQ: I calculating gravitational acceleration.

1. What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object due to the force of gravity. It is a measure of how quickly an object falls towards the Earth's surface.

2. How is gravitational acceleration calculated?

Gravitational acceleration can be calculated using the formula g = GM/r2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What is the value of gravitational acceleration on Earth?

The value of gravitational acceleration on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s2. However, this value may vary slightly depending on location and altitude.

4. How does gravitational acceleration affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational acceleration causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth's surface. This means that if an object is dropped from a height, it will fall towards the ground with increasing speed.

5. How is gravitational acceleration related to mass and distance?

Gravitational acceleration is directly proportional to the mass of the larger object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects. This means that larger objects will have a greater gravitational acceleration, while increasing the distance between two objects will decrease the gravitational acceleration.

Back