Algebra Story Problem: Big and Little Jesse's Walking Challenge

• Thread starter GuMdRop
  • Start date
In summary, two people, Big Jesse and Little Jesse, take steps in a 2:3 ratio. In order for their left feet to touch the ground at the same time, they must both take an even number of steps. However, since Little Jesse takes 1.5 steps for every step Big Jesse takes, it is impossible for both of them to have taken an even number of steps. Therefore, their left feet will never touch the ground at the same time.
GuMdRop
I Need Help Immediatly!

I have another stupid algebra story problem that is really hard for me and might be easy for others. If you come up with the answer please tell me, or give me clues on how to figure the problem out. The teacher is asking for an explanation to go with the answer to! DUE MONDAY!

Big Jesse takes 2 steps for every 3 steps that Little Jesse takes. To bein walking, they each step forward on their right foot at exactly the same time. When will their left feet touch the ground at exactly the same time??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
While I can't tell you the answer directly, forum rules, I'll try and put you on the right track. If you start with your right foot, the only way you'll end up with your left foot forward is if you take an even number of steps. So the question is really, "At what point will Big Jesse and Little Jesse both have taken an even number of steps?" At any given time, Little Jesse has taken 1.5 times as many steps as Big Jesse. See if you can write an algebra equation that, when solved for the variable, will equal the smallest even number that results in another even number when multiplied by 1.5. What does this number represent? What does this number times 1.5 represent? Hope that helps.

i am still really confused, i am only in 7th grade

Hmm...perhaps it would help if you figured out the answer some other way first and then came up with an algebra equation, if that's what your teacher said you need. This problem is simple enough that it doesn't require algebra to solve. If you still can't figure the problem out without using an algebraic equation, see if you can come up with a real life model of the problem- maybe ask your parents to play Big Jesse and Little Jesse, and have one take 1.5 steps for every 1 step the other takes (this is the same as saying 3 steps for every 2 the other takes). Count the number of steps each takes before both have their left foot forward. With the answer in hand, maybe you'll have an easier time coming up with an equation.

2:3 ratio

Just put on paper LR LR L
LRL RLR L

and write your equation from that.

It's like playing the piano: Eight triplets vs. Quarters. But with added left and right:
R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R...
R--L--R--L--R--L--R--L--R...

{For every step A takes B takes 1,5
{their first step was at the same time
{their first step was with the right foot

If they both start at the same time, steps(B) = 1,5*steps(A) - .5, cause A(1) = B(1)

Every second step for A is a left step, and every second step for B is a left step. The question is thereby:

When is 2x = 1,5*2n - .5?

Never!

Last edited:
Galileo said:
It's like playing the piano: Eight triplets vs. Quarters. But with added left and right:
R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L-R...
R--L--R--L--R--L--R--L--R...
R-L-R=L-R-L=R-L-R=L-R-L=R-L-R=L-R-L=R-L-L
R--L==R--L==R--L==R--L==R--L==R--L==R--L
[The Above is a visual aid for me and others, it separates the steps into twos and threes with eqaul signs]

I believe it is impossible for them to both step with their left feet at the same time. I believe this because of what Galileo said about triplets and quavers in music. As the person, who takes two steps compared to the others three, always steps on the right foot. This is the only time that they can step together as the other steps are at different times.

The Bob (2004 ©)

What is the smallest number that is divisible by both 2 and 3?

But HallsofIvy, they take the first step simultaneously with the right foot. Adding to this that Little Jesse takes 1.5 steps for every step Big Jesse takes, we get step(Little Jesse) = (3/2)step(Big Jesse) - 1/2

Both step(Little Jesse) and step(Big Jesse) must be even, and that never happens.

Last edited:
True. After 6 steps they set their foot down simultaneously for the first time after the first step, but it's their right foot, so the process repeats from there.

I have another stupid algebra story problem that is really hard for me and might be easy for others. If you come up with the answer please tell me, or give me clues on how to figure the problem out. The teacher is asking for an explanation to go with the answer to! DUE MONDAY!

Big Jesse takes 2 steps for every 3 steps that Little Jesse takes. To bein walking, they each step forward on their right foot at exactly the same time. When will their left feet touch the ground at exactly the same time??

If Big Jesse takes 2 steps for every 3 steps that Little Jesse takes, Little Jesse takes 1.5 steps for every step Big Jesse takes,
steps(Little Jesse) is proportional to 1.5*steps(Big Jesse) + C.

If they both step the first step simultaneously
steps(Little Jesse) = 1.5*steps(Big Jesse) -.5

If steps(Big Jesse) is even Big Jesse steps with his left foot and 1.5*steps(Big Jesse) -.5 is X.5

Can we all agree on this Galileo?

Last edited:
Think about it this way:

Both people are on their right foot.
Person one takes 2 steps (back to right)
Person two takes 3 steps (to left)
This is the first time they hit simultaneously.

You can tell person two goes between right and left, while person one is ALWAYS right when they hit together.

So they never hit their left feet together.

Alkatran said:
So they never hit their left feet together.
I have already said this. Why do people not listen? :grumpy:

The Bob (2004 ©)

What does "I Need Help Immediatly" mean?

"I Need Help Immediatly" is a phrase commonly used to express urgent or immediate need for assistance or support. It can indicate a serious or emergency situation that requires immediate attention.

What should I do if I see someone saying "I Need Help Immediatly"?

If you see someone saying "I Need Help Immediatly," it is important to take their request seriously. Ask them what kind of help they need and try to assist them to the best of your abilities. If the situation seems dangerous or beyond your abilities, call for professional help such as emergency services.

What are some common reasons why people say "I Need Help Immediatly"?

The phrase can be used in a variety of situations and for different reasons. Some common reasons include medical emergencies, accidents, dangerous or threatening situations, emotional distress, and financial crises. It can also be used when someone needs help with immediate tasks or responsibilities.

How can I provide help to someone who says "I Need Help Immediatly"?

The best way to provide help to someone who says "I Need Help Immediatly" is to listen to their request and offer assistance in a calm and supportive manner. Depending on the situation, you can provide practical help, emotional support, or call for professional assistance. It is important to stay calm and assess the situation before taking any action.

Is there a difference between "I Need Help Immediatly" and "I Need Help Now"?

Both phrases are commonly used to express a sense of urgency. The main difference is that "I Need Help Immediatly" implies that help is needed at this very moment, while "I Need Help Now" can also mean that help is needed as soon as possible, but not necessarily immediately. However, in most situations, both phrases indicate an urgent need for assistance and should be taken seriously.