I with a collision problem

• Thread starter Enoch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, after the collision, the two particles have velocities that are directed 27 degrees on either side of the original line of motion of the 4 g particle.
Enoch
The question is as follows:

A 4g particle moving at 30 m/s collides with a 0.99 g particle initially at rest. After the collision the two particles have velocities that are directed 27 degrees on either side of the original line of motion of the 4 g particle. What is the speed of the 0.99 g particle after the collision? Answer in units of m/s.

I hate to be a beggar for answers, but I have truly been stumped by this problem. I had relatively little problem with the other collision/momentum problems, but for some reason, I am not sure what angle to take to solve this problem.

To begin with, I converted the units into the standard mass units of Kg. I then drew the figure and broke down the motion of the second particle into components - Vfx(cos 27) and Vfy(sin 27). However, from here I do not know what to use. I looked at the momentum conservation theory/equations, but the ones I have require more variables than I know how to solve for.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of this vectorally. Draw the momentum vector for the motion of the first particle (before the collision). Because momentum is conserved, the momentum vectors of the two particles after the collision must add up vectorally to the initial vector of the first particle. Does this help?

Sirus said:
Think of this vectorally. Draw the momentum vector for the motion of the first particle (before the collision). Because momentum is conserved, the momentum vectors of the two particles after the collision must add up vectorally to the initial vector of the first particle. Does this help?

In a way, however, without the speed of either particle post-collision...I'm not sure how to set up an equation.

You said that you hate to be a begger, with respect to that i am not going to give you the complete answer but a hint.
Apply the law of conservation of kinetic energy, and conservation of linear as well as vertical momentum. Two variable and three equations, solve them for velocity of both particles. Take 27degrees from the orignal line of motion of the 4g particle.

aekanshchumber said:
You said that you hate to be a begger, with respect to that i am not going to give you the complete answer but a hint.
Apply the law of conservation of kinetic energy, and conservation of linear as well as vertical momentum. Two variable and three equations, solve them for velocity of both particles. Take 27degrees from the orignal line of motion of the 4g particle.

I tried to apply those principles, but I wasn't able to put together the formulas correctly in time for the homwork's due date. Thanks for the help, though ;).

Enoch said:
In a way, however, without the speed of either particle post-collision...I'm not sure how to set up an equation.

Do not set up one equation. Set up two. :smile: One for the x components of the momenta and one for the y components.

After the collision the two particles have velocities that are directed 27 degrees on either side of the original line of motion of the 4 g particle.

The velocity of both particles make +27 and -27 degrees with the original velocity of the 4 g particle. The direction of the original velocity is taken as x axis. If v1 is the speed of the 4 g particle after the collision and v2 is the speed of the other one, and both velocities make angles of equal magnitude but oposite sign with the x axis, and the sum of the y components of momenta should be zero after the collision, what is the relation between v1 and v2?

aekanshchumber :

You can not assume about the collision that it is elastic unless it was stated so. This one is not elastic, the kinetic energy is not conserved.

ehild

1. What is a collision problem in science?

A collision problem in science refers to a situation where two or more objects or particles come into contact with each other, resulting in a change in their motion or properties. These collisions can be elastic, where there is no loss of kinetic energy, or inelastic, where some kinetic energy is converted into other forms like heat or sound.

2. How do scientists study collisions?

Scientists study collisions by using mathematical models and experiments. They use equations such as conservation of momentum and energy to analyze the motion of objects before and after a collision. They also conduct experiments using specialized equipment to measure the force, velocity, and other parameters involved in the collision.

3. What are the real-world applications of studying collisions?

The study of collisions has many practical applications, such as in car safety design, understanding the properties of materials, and predicting the outcome of sports events. It also helps in developing technologies like airbags, which use the principles of collisions to protect passengers during a car crash.

4. How do scientists prevent collisions in space?

Scientists use various methods to prevent collisions in space, such as monitoring and tracking the movement of space debris, designing spacecraft with collision avoidance systems, and implementing protocols for communication and coordination among satellites and spacecraft. They also study the effects of collisions on spacecraft to improve their design and minimize damage.

5. Can collisions have a positive impact?

Yes, collisions can have a positive impact in many areas of science. In chemistry, controlled collisions between atoms and molecules can lead to new chemical reactions and the production of useful compounds. In particle physics, collisions between subatomic particles can provide insights into the fundamental properties of matter and the universe. In engineering, collisions can be harnessed to generate energy, such as in the case of a collision between a turbine and water in a hydroelectric power plant.